• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Imron recoat question ...

N1265

Hi guys,

My brother is working on a boat and I want to double check if anybody here has any experiance in spraying imron 5.0 and imron 500-s clear.

Here is the deal, The tech manual is a little fuzzy on when / how to apply the 500-s clear over a metallic color. It says to " re-coat over an overnight dry" The question is, do you have to sand the color before applying the clear ? Or can you spray the color, let it sit for 12 hrs and then spray the clear without re sanding it ? he is hesitant on re sanding it because he doesnt want to disturb the metallic flakes.

Many thanks for your help.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: recoat

If you re-coat within 24 hours, your don't have to sand. If you have any repairs to do, ie., fix runs, stuck flies, fix them, then shoot the clear.

Lee in Alaska

N1265

sounds great....

Also , ( just because I am wondering )..... have you ever had any problems clearing over Pin striping ? anything to watch out for when doing it ? Also when Fixing a defect, Can you use an artist brush to dab on some color
( without the additive ) and then clear over top of it without it lifting or causing any problems ?

Many thanks....

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I don't think you can repair with out using the "mixed' color, but yes, you can just do a dab with the artist brush, then shoot the clear. I think that the ease of repairs, is why they went to clear coating. Its real easy to get a good job, with a uniform gloss.

Lee in Alaska

N1265

sounds great, He has a spot where some dirt got on the finish and when it was sanded out it left a spot the size of a pencil lead where you can see the primer,

so we'll just dab it and then clear it.

Many thanks for the info.

devilman96

Do not spray over a pin stripe... Paint the line in and spray it yes... but dont spray over striping its self, the base will not get sealed properly and it will bite you later...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks