• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In cab heater install, M35/M108

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just in time for the cold, I installed a heater in the M108. Would be the same for any M35 truck.

The heater box at first glance looks like a standard M35 heater. But the output side is a 6 inch hole instead of 4 in, and the heater core is a 6 core heater that fills the box much more than a standard heater. I don't know what it came out of, but I should get really good heat.

The defroster diverter box is standard stuff.

Installed the heater under the glove box. Jigsawed a piece of wood with a outside diameter of 6 in, and inside of 4 in. This was used to mount the diverter box directly to the heater box. The diverter box was flipped 180 to face the heater box.

Used a gasser choke cable to operate the diverter box. Wired up a 3 postion switch, 24v for high, and 12v for low fan speed.

Had to flip the heater core in the box to run the heater hoses through the firewall. Used some heavy duty grommets where they go through. Also added ball valves to control the coolant.

It looks like the heater box takes up all the leg room on the passanger side from the photos, but I can fit my size 14 shoes under the box and not touch or lose any legroom.

I don't know how well this works, because the radiator is out being repaired/replaced.

Sorry about the bad photos, they didn't turn out well.

Dennis

Attachments

tm america

good job do you have any better pics of the mounting brackets i am wanting to do the same thing to my truck . what did you do with the air hose hook up ?did you move it or is it still accessible with the heater in that location

gunit

looks like it came from the factory that way, good job. ive been wanting to move mine in the cab but wondered how it would fit. aint worried much about leg room cause im driving.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess I never did say how it worked out... heater works good, had it out in some 15 degree weather driving around.

sandcobra164

Why not just knock out the other knockout panel to the lower left of the heater output hose and route that to the underhood heater inlet? I'm in the process of installing a hot water heater right now and that seems to be an easier solution. I've read alot about installing heaters on this site and I think it'd be easier to draw in air with a longer inlet hose. It'd be pulling cab air from just over the brake pedal doing it this way. Am I missing something?

Joseph

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Double heaters work best when they are placed in series. Then there is positive flow through each. The temperature of the coolant drops little, after the first heater. That moulded foam insulation that you can get for insulating house pipes at home depot, works great on heater hose.

Lee in Alaska

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks