• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In frame Cummins 8.3 rebuild, Anyone here done it??

Goinmxn

I have a motor overheat and loose a cylinder (still diagnosing) and It seems doing an in-frame rebuild is what I am leaning towards. Has anyone here done this? Just looking for pointers advice etc.
Thanks
Steve

Bandit02

I have done a 8.3 ISC which is the common rail version of your engine.

Who are you using for a kit? Interstate Mcbee makes a nice one.

Last edited:

skav

What does the kit include? Pistons, rings, bearings and head/pan gasket?

Is this a driveway project or more involved?

Bandit02

Pistons/wrist pins, liners, rings, all seals, all gaskets, all bearings and a optional head but you inquire that when you place your order as there is a core charge. Flawless kits I prefer them over OEM.

You could do this in your driveway. Not sure how intense it would be to roll over the bottom end in a 5 ton to be honest. Make sure you have a good dial indicator to check the liner protrusions, if they're not in spec you'll need the counter bores cut & shimmed as long as the liners didn't dance (fretting). That could be done in frame as well. Any machine work and you'll have to pull it out, get the head deck checked for warpage and pressure checked for cracks, the kit has new valve guide seals with it. I believe their reman heads are all rebuilt and drop in ready to go with new valves/springs.

I never did this in my driveway I worked in a dedicated engine shop so we had all the special tools and literature. But it can be done at home.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
With help I did a 8.3 cylinder and liner plus had the head redone. If the one cylinder went bad chances are you are going to have to do the head and a liner. I found a used sleeve tool kit online to do mine. It's a big briefcase full of gizmos. The new parts weren't that expensive. We did it in warm weather though. With a big tent over the engine bay. Or it could be a good time to swap in a 400 or something with a bit more grunt. I know someone who had a 8.3 what I was told was one injector was partially clogged and the fuel spray was uneven and that caused piston damage and set in motion a chain reaction that overheated and basically ruined the engine beyond feasible cost to rebuild.

Goinmxn

Ok, I am moving the truck inside today and pull the head to see what damage was done. The truck runs with a miss. Number 5 cylinder is gone, looks like raw fuel coming out of it and when you crack the injector it makes no difference in how the motor runs. Number 1 cylinder also showed very little difference while cracking the injector. I will be able to work on the truck inside, (thank goodness for good friends) and am going to tear it down tonight to see what damage is done. If it is extensive I will be heading to Ohio to get a motor. $4200 no core for a 5 ton pullout with less than 5k. If damage is permitting I will get the rebuild kit and do it in the shop with some friends, one who has done many inframes. Will, you don't a motor laying around????lol

Goinmxn

Removed the head today.... melted no 5 piston, bent exhaust valve and broke the rocker arm retainer. Liner is shot in number 5 and rough in one and three. I'm having the head checked for cracks and make sure it is not warped. 2 injectors were hard to get out and I think number 5 injector has some damage from the heat. I'm going to remove the oil pan tomorrow and check the bearings and crank. Hopefully they are ok. Learning experience here.... not particularly difficult really. Plenty of room to work and the forklift comes in handy:)

Goinmxn

Ok, bad news..... the head is warped, valves are in need of re-seating so off to Ohio I go in about 3 hours to pick up a newish motor. 30 day warranty and I get to hear it run before I get it. I should have this thing back in by Sunday night just in time for some possible snow events next week. I am going to build the old motor and set it aside just in case for later, I just don't have to hurry now. Thanks for the advice and help guys as usual. I 'll get some pics of damage and the new motor for your entertainment. Off to bed;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks