• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In glass antenna mod

edpdx

I developed a crack in my windshield last week. I have comprehensive that covers the replacement- no deductible :p.

I wen't online to see what options there were in windows. The ones with the antenna in the glass were the same price from the local shops, so I ordered one up.

Meanwhile, I ran to the wrecking yard and looked for the antenna cable that has the in-glass antenna lead. I got lucky and found a Chevy truck with the glass removed. The dash was hammered so I just pulled it out of the way. I unscrewed the dash speaker and saw the top of the lead in the center of the dash. Two screws on the mounting clip and I had what I needed. $3-4.

I installed it today. Had to remove the dash pad. What :shock: !!! The place to screw the cable bracket in were just two indentations and there was no way I could gget a drill in there to puch them through. Lucky for me I had a roll of 3M Double-Side Custion tape. The heavy-duty All Weather type in the Blazer console. Wiped the surfaces down with Wax and Grease remover and stuck the bugger in place. Window mobile guy come Monday.

Wish me a warm reception. :oops:

salt6

Use self tapping screws and an extention in your drill, worked good. Also pick up the speakers for the dash. You can use the brackets.

unaffiliated

LMC truck has the antenna lead in cable for $7.95 and the piece that snaps onto the windshield also $7.95. At that price, its almost not worth the trouble scouring bone yards. Just a thought.

forest522

I'm curious how it all works out - would assume that it would work as well as regular antennae? I picked a cable with the little snap ending attachment out of a wrecked GMC Jimmy for a couple of bucks awhile ago just in case. Might consider using it now! Good luck and let us know how it works out.

unaffiliated

The in glass radio antenna works well. I drove a '78 C10 for years and the radio always had good reception. As far as tweaking for CB or Ham, not sure how that would work. Mercedes has a splitter for car phone antenna but that technology is a bit outdated now. At my house, the Ham always got eaten before we could get any reception on it, so again, don't know much about that.

rlwm211

I converted my Civvy suburban of the same body style to the inglass antenna when I replaced both the fender and the windshield. BTW it is extremely easy to change the windshield on this type of vehicle.

I did pull the dash pad to install the antenna and to be honest it only takes a few minutes to do so. I used every magnetic screw driver tip holder I had taped together so they would not fall apart, to install the two self drilling screws to hold the cable mount in place.

The reception is good. I will not say it is exactly the same as the fender mounted whip.

I will add it is almost impossible to find a windshield in the u-pull-it boneyards without the antenna wire in the glass.

dependable

I have a 82 c-20 with one. Have owned several with and without in glass antennas. I find the reception not as good with the in glass ones, and directionally dependent. But if you mainly listen to a few strong stations, they work ok.

edpdx

I have had the same in-glass antenna on my Chevy C20. The antenna has been good- my guess is a super high tech model- as I am sure they are produced, will get stellar results; but I have been happy with reception in that truck since 74. A modern radio would definitely help as well.

Note- after thinking about it, I decided to drill the mounting holes out for the antenna instead of relying on the double-sided tape- in case the screws ground the antenna :shock:. I drilled them using my flexible extension on the Dremel, and a flexible extension on my drill to drive the screws.

Last edited: