• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In Middle of Recovery Need Help! Hub leak

DeuceIsLoose

Hi Gents,

I've got a friend on the road in the middle of a 700 mile recovery. He just called me and told me it looks like there's oil on the outside of the hub collecting in the wheel. He said there's about half a quart.

I know the axles are packed with grease so that shouldn't look like oil and I can't figure out what it could be. Could the hub seal have blown and differential fluid be leaking out? That's the only thing I can think??

If so, can he just keep topping off the differential and keep rolling?

Thanks for the quick replies.

Donnie

Westech

CPL
axle seal.. they go to crap all the time. Just keep the axle full and truck home. worse thing to happen is fry the brake shoes and burn up the bearing on that wheel. (it happened to me)

DeuceIsLoose

Westech,

Keep the axle full of axle grease or the differential full of fluid?

The axle gets grease through the fitting on top of the inner hub housing, right?

Thanks--I really appreciate it.

Donnie

ida34

Keep axle lube in the diff. The lube will wash the grease off the bearings so putting more grease in will not help.

DeuceIsLoose

Ida34,

Just want to make sure I understand, put axle grease in the differential? The thick stuff you have to pump with a gun?

Thanks

Donnie

dc3coyote

Exactlety what they said, should be a 3/8 drive to open the diff port.
Good luck and tell your friend to keep an eye on things, you should mention that he is either sealing the underside of his truck, or setting up for one serious cleanup.

crazyplowboy

Exactlety what they said, should be a 3/8 drive to open the diff port.
Good luck and tell your friend to keep an eye on things, you should mention that he is either sealing the underside of his truck, or setting up for one serious cleanup.
I've been changing my diff fluid this weekend and the plug is 1/2 drive, at least all 3 axles on my truck.

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, keep the diff full of fluid and head for home. I think there is a small channel that is usually plugged with a piece of corke and they go bad. This lets the diff fluid run out through the wheel hub. I don't think this is a road side repair. Good luck.

jimm1009

On my M35A2C the vents are all on the right side about 6 or 8 inches to the right of the differentials.
They have a miniature tin can (about 3/8 inch in diameter) that is swaged upside down on them with a small piece of rubber and a spring inside.
They get clogged full of mud and stop working.
Tell him to push them up and down while turning them. This should help some.

If he has to, he can take them out and use a air gun and blow, push, and turn a few times but the above should work in order to get him home.
I installed all new ones on my truck so I had a firm handle on their condition.
Good Luck
Jim

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes those air breathers are cheap thinking 2.00 each jim you didnt mention where he is located at. if he comes my way id be glad to assist him TIm

Barrman

If the truck has been sitting awhile, the seal might start sealing again once all the parts get warmed up and all the crud/rust get worn off.

For on the side of the road help, pour a cap full of brake fluid into the axle. It will cause the seals to swell some and probably stop the oil leak. change the fluid once you get home.

Where is he?

jwaller

you dont need to keep the gear oil in the diff's full up to the bottom of the hole. 1/2" down from the hole is just fine. it leaks less that way.

on the other hand if it's leaking a lot then filling it all the way will give you more time till you need to fill again.

DeuceIsLoose

Hey All,

He just checked in. He's going from here (Baton Rouge) to Columbia SC. Right now he's a little past Montgomery AL. He said he's going to top off the differential and then check it every 100 miles. He did say it's leaking pretty bad.

Anyone have any other advice or would like to volunteer their help if he goes down permenantly?

Thanks guys--your all awesome.

Donnie

tamangel

on google maps looks to be about 369 miles left or so (Montgomery AL to Columbia SC).. Maybe if everyone checks the route on G maps, they can see if they are on the travel path (based on the most direct (?) route given by G maps, that is (I85 to Atlanta GA, then I20 to Columbia SC) for possible support/go-fer duties..

good luck to him...

Mike

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks