• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In need of a CUCV non-gear reduction starter.

jhyatt7

My starter started dragging and then the ground wire (10 gauge) going from the front negative battery cable to the truck body burned up. A mechanic friend told me that the windings inside the starter have possible become damaged and is grounding out the system. Anyways, my CUCV M1009 is sitting in the garage not moving and I just got new tires. Does any one have a NON-Gear reduction starter I can purchase. Even if I have to replace the brushes, Im cool with that, I just don't know if the windings can be replaced and I definitely don't want a fire under the hood.aua

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the gear reduction bracket should still be avaliable from the dealer

cliffyp

I was able to get the gear reduction bracket just a few months back when I was swapping starters. I kept the original starter and its bracket as a backup.

K9Vic

Get your oem one rebuilt.
+1 on the rebuilt. Look up Alternator / Starter rebuild in your yellow pages or Google. IF the rebuilder is not familiar with the CUCV 24 volt... just hand him the starter and give him a gentle reminder and he can get the parts and then install.

I think I went through 2 of the gear reduction starters in a year and finally gave up and went with the rebuild of an original one. Its been almost two years now on the rebuilt starter.

You may want to consider upgrading the cables. These trucks are old and have been through a lot!! The rebuilder will also have the ability to make cables specific to the length you want/need with the correct ends.

Third... keep your connections tight to the batteries.

Good Luck!

K

markg

My starter started dragging and then the ground wire (10 gauge) going from the front negative battery cable to the truck body burned up.aua
if that cable gets hot and burns up you lost the the big ground at the back of the intake manifold by the fuel filter. tighten it up, you may not need a starter. thanks. mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks