• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In Need of Help with CUCV Issue

My 1985 CUCV has an issue. When I tried to start the CUCV, I noticed white smoke coming from something on the firewall, directly behind the air cleaner. There is a black plate that has something bolted to it. There is a single wire from the top bus bar to this mysterious thing, and one single wire coming from it to a selenoid. Can someone assit me with getting this changed out or at least let me know what this is? Thanks:cookoo:

So just remove it and run a single wire from the top or bottom bus bar directly to the selenoid it is already connected to. Sorry about double checking, but this is the first time writing a thread. Thanks.

dstang97

remove the Resistor completely off the fire wall and all wires attached to it. Then run a thick wire from your front battery Positive to top of glow plug relay.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would also add a fusible link into the wire. The stock setup has one.

Where in Okla are you?

LeadHead

You could also just disconnect the the wire from the resistor side (the one that connects the Glow Plug Relay to the resistor), and just run it straight to the 12v Bus.

Like this:

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The two bars behind the rear battery are for the 24v system. The 12v terminal is the diamond shaped connector next to the brake master cylinder.

The stock system has an 8 gauge feed wire with a 12 gauge fusible link. Fusible link wire is usually 4 sizes smaller that line it is protecting. It is made out of special rubber coating that should the wire melt it will keep the fire insude the housing.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/74776-fusible-links-101-a.html?highlight=101

Attachments

M1008driver

You can probably buy the fusible link wire locally. If not EBAY and others have it. Here is a link so you can see what it is. I am not pushing this company, just showing what to look for.

Dorman Products 85766 Dorman Electrical Wire & Cable

To be honest my 12 volt 8 gauge wire from the battery has a fusible link and I did not use one on the short wire from the gp relay to the 12 volt bus. I just used the wire off the right side of the resister and replaced one of the connector rings because it was too small.

Not my pic-for information only...

Attachments

Last edited:
I finally got it fixed. I removed the ballast resistor and connected the gpr to the bus bar. No smoke and no fire...... lol. Wanted to thank all of you that replied to my posting. I will be adding a pic of my cucv soon. I have installed a lightbar, radio console and radios. My wife and I are storm chasers, so instead of using our monte carlo to chase, we are going to use this cucv. I dont mind it getting pelted with hail, but my wife is concerned about the monte carlo getting pelted. This has been a long project for me due to my TBI and other issues. Feels good to accomplish something. Once again, thanks for the help.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which buss bar did you connect too? The one by the master cylinder or the one behind the rear battery?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job. [thumbzup]

I just wanted to make sure you weren't feeding the GPs a straight 24v.