• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In need of some input (first post!)

socom688

Hey everyone here at SS, I've been lurking for some time now and have finally decided to join the forum!

Ive been reading a ton of the M35s and think I have it down to what I want.

I am interested in purchasing a M35A2 C or D. Preferably with troop seats, heater (though not necessary), winch, and a canvas top. My question is, what should I expect to pay nowadays for a solid, low/no rust, relatively low miles/hours, all working gauges, heartily running A2 C or D? I'm going to have a budget of around $6000 soon, and I am worried I won't be able to get what I am seeking. I just absolutely do not want a complete fix'r upper. I would like something that can roll out and start up worry free as I bought it.

I am excited to learn more and hopefully pick up one of these monsters!

steelandcanvas

Six grand should get you a nice Deuce. Don't be real concerned with the turbo, the C will drive you out of the cab after awhile. You mentioned canvas which is rather rare, your better off with vinyl anyway, it will last a lot longer. Dig around the Classifieds here, you're bound to find something eventually. If you haven't already, download some of the Deuce TM's and become more familiar with them. Welcome to the site and the addiction!

socom688

Six grand should get you a nice Deuce. Don't be real concerned with the turbo, the C will drive you out of the cab after awhile. You mentioned canvas which is rather rare, your better off with vinyl anyway, it will last a lot longer. Dig around the Classifieds here, you're bound to find something eventually. If you haven't already, download some of the Deuce TM's and become more familiar with them. Welcome to the site and the addiction!
Thanks for the tip about the canvas! Also, I definitely plan on reading the TMs. And the C vs D thing comes down to price. If I can find a C for a better deal than a D, then I will be comfortable with the C (I have a Vortech'd 1996 Cobra that screams and whistles everywhere I drive it), but I would rather have a D at this point. I have been keeping an eye on 2 classifieds for what I want here in FL, but they seem to be a little out of my price range, and by the time I actually get the cash, they could very well be gone. I guess I need to learn some patience :-D.

Last edited:

welldigger

6k should get you a nice deuce. The d and c turbos are a direct swap if the truck you pick doesn't have the turbo you want. Matter of fact I'd trade my d for a c.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy.:cookoo:

Six grand should get you a pretty nice deuce with a hardtop and winch (if you want them).

You are directed to attend the 2013 GA Rally in Oct. Lots of Florida folks make the trip and you can convoy with them.

socom688

Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy.:cookoo:

Six grand should get you a pretty nice deuce with a hardtop and winch (if you want them).

You are directed to attend the 2013 GA Rally in Oct. Lots of Florida folks make the trip and you can convoy with them.
Ah I would LOVE to go, but I'll probably be at the Navy OCS up in Rhode Island during that time

welldigger

Yeah I have read that. The D makes a couple more lbs of boost right?
I know the d flows a little more cfm. I don't believe that equates to much boost pressure gain. Truth be told you probably wouldn't notice the power difference. The turbo is more for cleaning up exhaust smoke than horsepower. The old multi fuel is a rather anemic engine to begin with. Turning up the fuel a bit can help but it will never be a built up 6bt Cummins or D-max.

socom688

I know the d flows a little more cfm. I don't believe that equates to much boost pressure gain. Truth be told you probably wouldn't notice the power difference. The turbo is more for cleaning up exhaust smoke than horsepower. The old multi fuel is a rather anemic engine to begin with. Turning up the fuel a bit can help but it will never be a built up 6bt Cummins or D-max.
Ok, that makes sense. From everything I have read, the multi-fuel will be enough power for anything I could ever need from it, but I really like the idea it can run off many things, so bring on the anemia lol

welldigger

Truth be told I don't find my truck to be as gutless as some make it seem. And my fuel is not turned up. Civi trucks of the same weight class and year era were often powered by inline 6 cylinders that were gas burners......you wanna talk about gutless wonders.

socom688

Truth be told I don't find my truck to be as gutless as some make it seem. And my fuel is not turned up. Civi trucks of the same weight class and year era were often powered by inline 6 cylinders that were gas burners......you wanna talk about gutless wonders.
That's reassuring to hear. I know a decent amount about gas engines because of my need for speed but I want to experience something new, hence the deuce decision. A slight concern was the ability to get more power from these engines. I know zilch about diesels in general, and it's nice to know I can turn up the fuel easily and add some more power. Any other ways to increase power with relative ease?

welldigger

Well with enough time and money anything is possible. But with the multi fuel there's really not a whole lot that can be done in the practical sense. Even turning up the fuel can flirt with disaster if you don't install a pyrometer and carefully watch your EGT's. The bottom end is pretty weak when you increase power much higher than stock levels. As far as experiencing something different then you picked the right truck. They are fun to drive and more useful than most realize. The top speed of 55mph is a bit of a bummer but if your in no hurry its actually kinda nice in a weird way. Though switching from the 9.00-20 duels to 395's will get you up to around 65.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the Forum. If you get a Deuce, your going to be learning a lot about them - that goes with the territory. Good Luck, with your notion about finding one that is "trouble free". Yes, they can be dependable, but often they have been subjected to extended deferred maintenance. Not always, but often, of course. Your budget should get you into the dependable catagory. Mine has never let me down, but my thinking is, that I would rather work on it here in the shop, then along the highway, someplace. Good Luck

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
But with the multi fuel there's really not a whole lot that can be done in the practical sense.
You are buying a mule.....not a racehorse. When used as intended the deuce is a capable and fun truck.
You can't gold plate a turd (well, you can but then you just have an expensive turd).
They are tougher than woodpecker lips and will do some amazing things (see "hold my beer and watch this") and will do them while burning crap that would kill a normal diesel engine.
Have fun with it and remember the sage words of Dirty Harry "A man's got to know his limitations".

socom688

Thanks rosco and wreckerman for the input, I can't wait to snag my deuce. Btw does anyone know of any manual transmission of 6 or more gears that is either a direct drop in or requires little fabrication that's a direct drop in, and can handle the mule-style abuse with the lower 4 gears, but has more highway friendly gears than 1 overdrive gear? This is just me brainstorming for a while down the road after I get it (dream big I always say!)

You are buying a mule.....not a racehorse. When used as intended the deuce is a capable and fun truck.
You can't gold plate a turd (well, you can but then you just have an expensive turd).
They are tougher than woodpecker lips and will do some amazing things (see "hold my beer and watch this") and will do them while burning crap that would kill a normal diesel engine.
Have fun with it and remember the sage words of Dirty Harry "A man's got to know his limitations".

welldigger

Thanks rosco and wreckerman for the input, I can't wait to snag my deuce. Btw does anyone know of any manual transmission of 6 or more gears that is either a direct drop in or requires little fabrication that's a direct drop in, and can handle the mule-style abuse with the lower 4 gears, but has more highway friendly gears than 1 overdrive gear? This is just me brainstorming for a while down the road after I get it (dream big I always say!)
A drop in transmission....not really. However a member here by the handle m35-tom has an overdrive kit that replaces the 5th gear with a taller one. That is the most practical way to get more top end other than larger tires.

socom688

Ok great, thanks for the info. Non of this is deterring me at all from joining the deuce club, I am just trying to get an idea of what I'm in for and what I can do with it.

welldigger

Ok great, thanks for the info. Non of this is deterring me at all from joining the deuce club, I am just trying to get an idea of what I'm in for and what I can do with it.
You will enjoy the truck more because you are asking questions. Most people unfamiliar with the deuce have the fantasy that these trucks are unstoppable and never break down. Those are the people that end up severely disappointed. Truth be told they are as tough as they come when properly maintained. They are capable off road... as long as you understand its not a jeep. When you pick one out get to know your truck inside and out. Know what its limits are and read the TM's. Most of all have fun with it. There's something about the old deuce that can draw crowds and believe me people love asking questions about it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks