• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

in-tank fuel pump runs, but does not feed

VanMan

Hello,
I've got a problem with my in-tank fuel pump.
The pump runs, but doesn't feed any diesel.
After removing the pump i've noticed, that there is no cover or something on the bottom of the pump:
Pumpe.jpg
How does the pump feed diesel usually? I think the impeller has to be covered, otherwise it will not work, right? Does anyone have a picture from the bottom of such a pump?
Maybe you wonder how the surface looks like. It's some real nasty dirt, don't know what exactly. I had to remove it mechanically, the pump runs very well.
Someone here who could help me? Thank you guys:giggle:
Kind regards from Germany
Daniel

FloridaAKM

You are missing the base plate that makes the pump actually push fuel into the system. As it sits, it is just spinning fuel around the impeller, doing nothing. Your plate is more than likely in the bottom of your fuel tank in the same goo that the pump was sitting above. Time to go magnet fishing & see if you can retrieve your baseplate. Good luck!

VanMan

You are missing the base plate that makes the pump actually push fuel into the system. As it sits, it is just spinning fuel around the impeller, doing nothing. Your plate is more than likely in the bottom of your fuel tank in the same goo that the pump was sitting above. Time to go magnet fishing & see if you can retrieve your baseplate. Good luck!
That's what I thought too. So I completely drained the fuel tank and cleaned the entire bottom, but there was no such plate. I think I have to recreate a new one. Which direction is the fuel suction from? From above (past the impeller shaft) or from the bottom (through a hole in the bottom plate)?

FloridaAKM

Looking @ your pump from the bottom as your picture shows, the pump turns counterclockwise in order to pull fuel from the tank & force it into the hose headed to the water filter.

Years ago, when they were demilling unused MRAPS, they would sell brand new Parker fuel pumps that fit the need perfectly for a Deuce for $65.00. If you can't find an original pump or replacement base plate, that would be the route to go.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tar looking stuff looks like asphaltenes and if you have a coating of it on the bottom of your tank I found a product called Fuel Ox for asphaltenes if you can get it over there. Also E85 gas seems to cut it pretty well. I used E85 first then drained tank of it then ran Fuel Ox in with new fuel and it has done real well. Had to change the filters once since then and carry a couple of spare filters in the truck.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Gringeltaube cut up a tank to clean, refurbish, enlarge. His photos indicate the baffles to seek for your plate the other side of.
I should have bought every one of those Parker pumps in existance!

Attachments

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hello,
I've got a problem with my in-tank fuel pump.
The pump runs, but doesn't feed any diesel.
After removing the pump i've noticed, that there is no cover or something on the bottom of the pump:

How does the pump feed diesel usually? I think the impeller has to be covered, otherwise it will not work, right? Does anyone have a picture from the bottom of such a pump?
Maybe you wonder how the surface looks like. It's some real nasty dirt, don't know what exactly. I had to remove it mechanically, the pump runs very well.
Someone here who could help me? Thank you guys:giggle:
Kind regards from Germany
Daniel
pump fuel in tank patent.jpg

$385 for a new one!

Attachments

Last edited:

VanMan

Hello guys, wish you a happy new year!
Thank you a lot, my pump is running. I couldn't find the original cover, so I built a new one. I had to try some different adhesives and improve the cover, but now it's satisfying (to me).
Here are some pictures:

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks