• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In the 09 club

cdnm1009

Well I made the 1200 miles back to BC from Las Vegas. Had the Ujoint blow up on me but had a very helpful Samaritan stop and offer his assistance. This guy (Steve) ran ahead, bought the parts and let me use his garage to fix it. Back on the road 2 hours after I got there. My Premier AAA membership paid for itself that day.

Was a little disappointed with all the rust, since I need to pass a insurance inspection and there cant be any rust or holes. But a bit of fiberglass, sheet metal and elbow grease and I think I am almost ready for the inspection.

I dealt with Omar and John at Safe Auto Care in Vegas, and although I spent more than I thought I would they fixed it up good. All stuff I would of had to do before passing inspection up here, back brakes, hoses, belts, all fluids and trans serviced. I picked it up from them Saturday afternoon and after dropping off the rental I saw a good leak coming from the front diff seal. Took it back to them as they closed and at first they said they couldn't do anything until Monday. I only had a leave pass until Tuesday night so I pleaded my case and one of there guys stayed late and John went and got the part. I big thumbs up to them.

My bondo and fiberglass job aint pretty but I just want it to pass inspection so I can get this Ugly Beast on the road. And hopefully offroad next weekend.

Just wanted to thank all the regulars for all the awesome posts and info you guys have on here, I have spent the last couple weeks reading as much as I can. Gleaning from the Veteran 09 owners, thanks.[thumbzup]

Here's a couple pictures before I started to clean her up. I know how you guys like pics:grin:

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to pass a insurance inspection and there cant be any rust or holes.
Huh? Is that Canadian law? Good Lord, if there was a law against having rust holes in a vehicle prior to insurance verification, half the darn vehicles in the Southern US would fail inspection.

OL AG '89

Huh? Is that Canadian law? Good Lord, if there was a law against having rust holes in a vehicle prior to insurance verification, half the darn vehicles in the Southern US would fail inspection.
HOLEY COW , wait no holes.....
No rust on a vehicle in CANADA????? REALLY???

Is that just to get into the country or is that an everyear thing????

Maddawgs right most of the southern states would be WALKING and all of the NORTHERN States as well.

Welcome to the afflication!!!

idM1028

Wow, 1,300 miles? About what speed did you keep it at for the most part and what size are those tires? I'll do the math. I gotta drive about 1,000+ miles here in a couple of months, but not 100% sure the truck will be happy driving that far with what appears to be a leaky rear seal.

cdnm1009

Ya its just a import thing, or if you move to another Province. I fiberglassed and bondo'd the crap outta that thing, might have to fix a couple things ie cracked signal light cover and maybe an interior light I forgot about until now. We have tons of old cars up here, some places require yearly inspections for Air-Care but I think thats it.

The truck has the 31's on it and average speed was 60 - 65mph. Driving from Vegas to Reno was HOT but past that it was ok. I would drive it back down if I had to, other than the U-joint the truck drove smooth the whole way. And I get about 7 miles more a gallon than my 01 Blazer which is nice.

Dropped it off for the inspection tonight, we'll find out in the next couple days how strict they really are.

idM1028

Yeah, that puts you at about 1,800-2,100 RPM's or so, which is about the sweet spot for most diesels. I got a 1028 and those 4.56's will pull a house over, but the truck screams going down the road. Fastest I've done is 61mph (confirmed by GPS) for short sprints. Usually I keep it around 55 (give or take a few MPH) but I know the RPM's are still higher than what they should be.

cdnm1009

So the list of things I needed to do for my inspection (other than fixing the rust and holes)

Wipers were to slow - replaced motor for 90 bucks
No rubber on brake pedal (yep, I'm serious) - $4 pedal rubber
No reverse lights - I just cleaned up the contact on the trans and it worked
License plate light - just installed one on the tailgate ( couldnt figure out why it came with only one wire, took me a bit to figure out it was case grounded. I cant believe I fix aircraft for a living)
Horn didnt work - just cleaned up the rust off and it worked great after I put it back together the right way
Right brake shoes were on backwards - I paid the guys at Safe Auto care to do this but it was a sunday

It's now on the road. But now I have to replace the drivers side glass cause I slammed to door with the door down and it shattered. No autowrecker in town has one but he can order it for $85. Its cheaper on LMC but with all the shipping its about the same, but I get a used one. I slammed it when it was down, I wont do that again. I was messing with the door as it needs to come up just a bit but I cant get it right. I can buy a new door shell online for about $120 since mine is pretty rusted out on the bottom, not sure yet. I wish I could just get it aligned like the passenger side.

Anyways the Tank is on the road. I need to replace the bearing that mates the front drive shaft before I take it out, theres a ton of play in it. I was also told that there was a problem with the 4x4 but I wasnt worried about it for the drive home. Thinking I might take the cover off the front diff to see if anything is wrong there. Do you think I would cause any problems to the trans if I put it in 4x4 and the transfercase had any problems?

cdnm1009

nice! should make it down to the PNW rally! oh and more pics of your rig

I'd LOVE to go but I will be doing the Nijmegen March in the Netherlands and leave July 15th for 10 days. Nijmegen march is a 100 mile march done over 4 days, 40,000 participants and 5,000 military. And yes I volunteered for it. Its a big thing for the Canadian Miltary since we liberated that area in WWII. I am really looking forward to it but have put 500 miles on my boots the last couple months to prepare for it, lots of blisters and aches and pains but well worth it in the end. We go to Vimy Ridge before the march and have a couple days off after to recover and sightsee.

Found a driver side window for $30 bucks at the wrecker, better than the $85 the other guy quoted me.

More pictures of my bad bondo/fiberglass job to come shortly

cdnm1009

nice! there is Arlington air show that the Canadian collector groups bring there stuff to the weekend before july 6-10th which should be huge!

Those arent collectors, its the Canadian Forces still flying vintage A/C. Seriously I work on the circa '65 Sea Kings lol. Hopefully to be replaced in 2-3 years finally. Thats what happens with a Liberal government is in power for 15 years long.

When we flew the Sea King from the east coast to the West we stopped at so many National Guard bases and they had lines of Globemasters for the reserves. Our military just bought 4 finally. Its nice to finally get some new toys afters 20 years of a government depleting our military. Heres to 4 good years with a "Support the Troops" Government.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks