• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Incorrect VIN number???

18operator

Hi All,
A few years back, I bought my Deuce from a private owner. He said he won 2 trucks in an auction and needed to get rid of one (mine). When I went to process the title, I used the I.D. number off the dash plaque in the cab. In trying to uncover a little history on the truck, I came across the I.D. number on the frame rail. The numbers from the dash and frame rail were different. I just chalked it up to the motor pool piecing a good truck together.
Fast forward to now. I was looking on a local for sale website and I found an M35A2 that looked pretty close to mine. In some of the photos there was the dash plaque. That I.D. number on the plaque looked familiar. It matched the number on my frame rail!
In my opinion, the person I bought my Deuce from swapped dash data I.D. plates from my truck to his (at the time) truck because one looked better than the other, not knowing there are I.D. numbers on other areas of the truck.

Now. My question to everyone here would be, do I contact the new owner/seller and see if we can get these I.D. numbers straightened out, or just let it be with the current I.D.'s.

I would seem to think that this should all be straightened out.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The question is, does your vin plate match his frame? Might not, as there appears to be a tangled web woven. If it does, you would have to convince him to assign his title to you, and you to him, and swap vin plates. As you know there are costs associated with title transfers, not to mention time spent. I would try to fix it, but be prepared to foot the bill.

18operator

And seeing it is at a dealership, it may be a bit easier to get all the numbers and titles corrected. If all numbers match up. Maybe ha!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always go by the frame number.

I bought a deuce directly from the military that had the wrong data plate. A bunch of paperwork came with the truck and it all matched the wrong data plate.

Don't bother giving Uncle Sam any more of your hard earned money than you already do. Go buy a number and letter stamping set from Harbor Freight and change the vin on the frame. The feeling you get in the end will probably be the same and your wallet will be heavier. Besides I doubt that doing what you're talking about will make the truck run any better.

EO2NMCB

Don't bother giving Uncle Sam any more of your hard earned money than you already do. Go buy a number and letter stamping set from Harbor Freight and change the vin on the frame. The feeling you get in the end will probably be the same and your wallet will be heavier. Besides I doubt that doing what you're talking about will make the truck run any better.
I sure wouldn't recommend that course of action.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You realize altering V.I.N. numbers is illegal .

You realize altering V.I.N. numbers is illegal .
These trucks don't have vin numbers they have serial numbers. They only become a vin number when we assign them one when we fill out the sf97 form. In the eyes the law the number on the frame is arbitrary. At this point this person would be doing something more illegal by changing the tags in the cab than the numbers on the frame. The DMV always go's by the numbers associated with the body not the chassis.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These trucks don't have vin numbers they have serial numbers. They only become a vin number when we assign them one when we fill out the sf97 form. In the eyes the law the number on the frame is arbitrary. At this point this person would be doing something more illegal by changing the tags in the cab than the numbers on the frame. The DMV always go's by the numbers associated with the body not the chassis.
Your just full of bad information .
The V.I.N. is stamped in the frame ( this is the number assigned at the factory ), the serial number is assigned by the military to track it in inventory as the military dosen't use titles.

Your just full of bad information .
The V.I.N. is stamped in the frame ( this is the number assigned at the factory ), the serial number is assigned by the military to track it in inventory as the military dosen't use titles.
Not all frames were stamped. I've seen a few that didn't have numbers on the frame at all.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every time I see a frame that has no stamp I look a little harder.

Some of them are so faint it almost takes a forensic metallurgist to find them.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:
Every time I see a frame that has no stamp I look a little harder.

Some of them are so faint it almost takes a forensic metallurgist to find them.
OK. But whether or not they are visible is not the issue here. See I have built a couple custom "frankintrucks" in the past. You know, turning two trucks into one. I never hide the fact that I have done this from the DMV. I've told them that I made something using the body from one truck and the chassis from another and asked them which vin number to use. They've always told me to use the number from the truck body. That's what it resembles so that's what it is. And if the DMV ever assigns a new vin number for a vehicle that does not have one they will give you a stamped steel tag and tell you to mount it somewhere on the body.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK. But whether or not they are visible is not the issue here. See I have built a couple custom "frankintrucks" in the past. You know, turning two trucks into one. I never hide the fact that I have done this from the DMV. I've told them that I made something using the body from one truck and the chassis from another and asked them which vin number to use. They've always told me to use the number from the truck body. That's what it resembles so that's what it is. And if the DMV ever assigns a new vin number for a vehicle that does not have one they will give you a stamped steel tag and tell you to mount it somewhere on the body.
That may be the case with your local DMV and how they do it in New York , but it is also why most other states require V.I.N checks by a LEO to transfer a out of state title. Considering the data plate is held on with 4 screws and can be bought blank for $20 most states won't accept it as the V.I.N.

18operator wants to trade titles and dash data plates with someone elses truck. Not only does that sound bad, but they would essentially be buying each others trucks. Which would also mean paying taxes on the assessed value of these trucks. That could get pricy quick. All of that just to have a different data tag. I'm sure there are some charities out there that would appreciate that money more than his local state government would.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks