• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

increasing reliability and offroad performance

davidkroberts

May 6th, 2010.

Why mess up a perfectly good deuce when what you REALLY want is a Unimog? An S404,406,408 or U1300L will beat any deuce in off road work..... flat out![thumbzup] Particularly since you don't plan to haul 2-1/2 tons along with you, but I believe the U1300L might just be able to do that too.....:p

Just my experienced two cents worth.....

:ditto:

until you have driven a unimog.... you just wont understand

Unforgiven

I've lost count of how many times I've seen you post this...
No doubt. I don't think I've ever seen a Unimog go for less than $35-40K. And that's for 1960's models that are beat up. Any cheaper & they need a total restoration.

Deuce $3500 - 4000

A buddy of mine bought a Unimog a few years ago. I forgot what model. 65 grand! He took out a mortgage on his house to buy it. Whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I think Unimogs are great. I've always wanted a 404 DOKA. But it's not worth a house payment to me.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And lose the front winch for better angle of attack. Just carry a chain come-along instead.
Army70deuce, I know you want to keep the winch, but another option is to weld in a 2" receiver front and back and use an electric winch mounted in a cradle that will fit into the front or back receiver. That also gives you more flexibility in winching. You just need to run a line front and back with plugs. We use this set up on the Rescue units where I'm from. That would be really handy for a lot of the Bobbers too.
BTW, I'm not far from you, I'm in Ramadi. The good thing is I'm going home in about a month, the bad thing is I don't have a deuce to go home too.:cry: Guess the wife and kids will have to do.8)

Last edited: