• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Indiana HMMWV repair shops

Anyone have a go to guy or shop they would recommend in Indiana? I am just north of Indianapolis. I am pretty mechanical, but more of a drink 2 beers, listen to some music and get 5 minutes worth of work done, once per week kinda mechanic, so it takes me longer than a shop would take.

Bought a non runner, taking delivery this week it sounds like. Just rather have it at a shop close to me rather than several states away I think.

Contemplated taking it up to AM General in South Bend, thinking they might turn me away. HA.

Thanks in advance.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Anyone have a go to guy or shop they would recommend in Indiana? I am just north of Indianapolis. I am pretty mechanical, but more of a drink 2 beers, listen to some music and get 5 minutes worth of work done, once per week kinda mechanic, so it takes me longer than a shop would take.

Bought a non runner, taking delivery this week it sounds like. Just rather have it at a shop close to me rather than several states away I think.

Contemplated taking it up to AM General in South Bend, thinking they might turn me away. HA.

Thanks in advance.
Lately and my crossed eyed observation. 100 Hmmwv sold a week. One can make a good deal at auction... BUT one need to be careful and it still can be the luck of the draw. Were all big boys... I got that.

Hobby has many facets. Win, wait and drive it (bad idea imo). Win, wait and drop it off for a 30 year check-up. (less grease under the finger nails, bumps and owie's.

Non runner having sat for... say 20 years, likly to have a Gremlin or two. They can bite hard too. Win, wait, while doing some homework with the TM's. Then when it shows up time to get dirty.

Lots of non-runners can be a good deal. IMO, be prepared for some in depth work and MORE money. Thinking it could be a loose wire, just dead batteries, empty fuel tank is a bit foolish. If lady luck is on you side (winner dinner) one still has a lot of simple work and maintenance to bring it up standard.

You'll have to determine operational standard, readiness and trust...if the wheels aren't going to fall off or is it even safe to drive?

Looks can be very deceiving with non-runners. For the most part... They all roll off the flat bed. Then the fun begins. Most of us here have dirt under the finger nails or a lot of nitrite gloves LOL. Read the stories here on SS. Check you wallet and clock... one needs both and a crescent wrench LOL

AND the final to this story... If not prepared to get dirty and looking for a "turn key" shop, there are a few GREAT shops here that is ALL they DO. Again home work is required. The likelihood the regular "Joe's Garage" drop off is going to be a real learning experience for both parties and your wallet with mixed results. YRMV

Non-runners, chicken dinner or chicken fried steak OR....

Could be a diamond in the rust aahhh rough, CAMO 💎

Another of my BS stories with some truth. No harm to any Joe or garage or member. Time to get back to work. GOOD LUCK 🍀

I guess thanks for the opinion big guy. Was just asking for a shop recommendation though, in Indiana. It's not my first rodeo, I've gotten to the point where I would rather pay a professional than tinker endlessly. Do I have to pay someone? No. Am I able to do everything myself? Also no. Sometimes a professional is just more efficient.

I have a guy that works on my other projects up here, but he isn't a diesel guy, and not a military vehicle guy, hence my request. Also have a guy that works on my cranes and another that works on forklifts, but again, they aren't a HMMWV guy. But again, I appreciate you sharing your experience. Thanks! !

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I guess thanks for the opinion big guy. Was just asking for a shop recommendation though, in Indiana. It's not my first rodeo, I've gotten to the point where I would rather pay a professional than tinker endlessly. Do I have to pay someone? No. Am I able to do everything myself? Also no. Sometimes a professional is just more efficient.

I have a guy that works on my other projects up here, but he isn't a diesel guy, and not a military vehicle guy, hence my request. Also have a guy that works on my cranes and another that works on forklifts, but again, they aren't a HMMWV guy. But again, I appreciate you sharing your experience. Thanks! !
I wasn't going after you or anyone. Seeing that you might be NEW here...MY MISTAKE. I just pointed to many of the sad stories and headaches other have experiences. IF I make a connection with new owners and help them in their quest, then that's a good thing. Everyone do your thing.

You are the man, 👨 CAMO

I wasn't going after you or anyone. Seeing that you might be NEW here...MY MISTAKE. I just pointed to many of the sad stories and headaches other have experiences. IF I make a connection with new owners and help them in their quest, then that's a good thing. Everyone do your thing.

You are the man, 👨 CAMO
All good buddy, didn't think you were going after me. Seems that lots of people have different experiences on these things. Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks