• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Indicators flash funny

Chitstirer

Ok so I'm new to these trucks, I turn on my indicators and they flash maybe 5 times bright, then go dim and flash for a bit then just stop flashing all together :shrugs:
I gather it's maybe the flasher unit ??
im not sure what that looks like though?
Or where it's located?
Any info would be great !!

olly69

Welcome to the site! Grounds are so important for lights to function. My signals are intermittent also, I replaced the clamp that secured it to the steering column, and it worked fine... for a while! But I know my harness is in bad shape too.

olly69

Have you downloaded the appropriate TM's for your vehicle? Reading through them will make you very familiar with your truck.
Yes I have, and I have noticed that the manuals usually just say to replace items, not how to fix them. For example, on page 7-7 of manual #TM9-2320-209-34-2-1 it shows the diagrams with the instructions. My problem is with item #9, but the instructions just explain how to replace the whole harness, not fix the frayed wires on the blinker end. Great diagram, but doesn't explain how to fix it...
wire harness.jpg

steelandcanvas

Sorry, I was under the assumption you hadn't located the flasher module yet. My leads were also worn and frayed at that point where the harness connects to the flasher. I just wrapped each conductor with a good grade electrical tape (Scotch 33) and then a few wraps over all the conductors. I not sure how handy you are with soldering, but you could de-solder the leads, cut the bad ends off, strip for new wire and re-solder. However, my tape has held up good for 4 years now. You are correct to notice the TM's have very little fixes and a lot of remove and replace (R & R) procedures.

olly69

Sorry, I was under the assumption you hadn't located the flasher module yet. My leads were also worn and frayed at that point where the harness connects to the flasher. I just wrapped each conductor with a good grade electrical tape (Scotch 33) and then a few wraps over all the conductors. I not sure how handy you are with soldering, but you could de-solder the leads, cut the bad ends off, strip for new wire and re-solder. However, my tape has held up good for 4 years now. You are correct to notice the TM's have very little fixes and a lot of remove and replace (R & R) procedures.
I am not good with soldering, but I think that may be the only solution here. I will try some more tape first! (I'm a chicken) Is there anywhere to buy just the end that plugs into the blinker on the steering column?
I appreciate the quote on the bottom of your replies. Very true.... [No matter how good or bad you think life is, wake up each day & be thankful to GOD. Somewhere, someone else is fighting to survive...]

olly69

Just wanted to update my last post. I received a cable end from Juanprado, (thanks for the cable Juanprado) and now all I have to do is splice it in!

steelandcanvas

Just wanted to update my last post. I received a cable end from Juanprado, (thanks for the cable Juanprado) and now all I have to do is splice it in!
Use some good Sta-Kon butt connectors and a good grade of heat shrink tubing and you'll be good. Be sure and put the heat shrink on the wire first, crimp your connections on, slide the heat shrink over and shrink.

ke5eua

In place of separate heat shrink over butt connectors you can get the water tight style butt connectors.

These come in three flavors, red, blue, and yellow. These have heat shrink in place of the plastic and the heat shrink has glue in it.

I bought this kit on flea bay and just refill it from the ones from wally world. I also go over kill and heat shrink on top of heat shrink. Guess it's the electrical engineer in me.

31z3TM6rAzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Heat-Shrink-Connector-Piece/dp/B008HMHJDO

Here is the link for the ones at wally world. You can usually find them in the automotive section with the bulbs and stuff, although some wally worlds I've found them along the back wall near boating.

Err, just noticed you're from good 'ole Canada. Your local automotive parts store should carry them.

http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...s&cat_id=3944_3947&facet=retailer:Walmart.com

Last edited:

M-35A3

I had a turn signal issue but mine would just stay static as if the flasher wasn't there , I first cleaned the ground at the flasher then that didn't fix it but then i put a ground from the turn signal switch to the dash and its been working every since. Give this a shot and hopefully it will fix it for you [thumbzup]

This isnt the best looking setup or correct colored wire (should be black but its all i had at the time) but it got the job done.

IMG_20130606_142409_zps010fc406.jpg

Last edited:

ke5eua

I had a turn signal issue issue but mine would just stay static as if the flasher wasn't there , I first cleaned the ground at the flasher then that didn't fix it but then i put a ground from the turn signal switch to the dash and its been working every since. Give this a shot and hopefully it will fix it for you [thumbzup]
(note that this isnt the best looking setup or correct colored wire but it got the job done for what i had at the time )

View attachment 491816
Actually for the voltage your wire gauge should be fine. Although, rapping the wire around the column like that will increase resistance. If the column isn't providing ground then your horn should have issues too?

An alternative to bringing the wire all the way up it to use a clamp and secure the wire to the base of the column right under the dash to ensure a proper ground. If doing this route you can upgrade it to a grounding braided strap.

M-35A3

I don't want to derail thread but the horn does works its just the turn signal switch couldn't get a good ground on there column either way that was just a quick fix and planning on making it look less noticeable in the future .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks