• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inexpensive Wheel Seal Installer

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is my first stab at posting pictures and a tip on the site.

I just finished replacing all the steel and rubber brake lines, M/C, Air Pack, wheel cylinders, wheel seals and re-packed the bearings. Following the extensive, " how to replace the seals" thread, and the potential for catastrophic failure by not redoing the brake components, I decided to give it a go.

I read several comments about installing the wheel seals and was a bit shy about pounding on them with a brass drift pin to seat them.

I made a trip to the helpful hardware place and bought some 3" schedule 40 PVC pipe about 2 feet long, a 3" slip x slip coupling, a 3" slip x female adapter and a 3" PVC pipe plug. The assembled installer is pictured below.
I did not glue anything together.

The coupling is exactly the same size as the seal and when you slip the seal over the axle tube, followed by the installer, all you have to do is tap the plug in with a BFH and seat the seal. Worked like a charm and only cost about $6 bucks.

Attachments

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So sorry... I would not copy someone's elses idea intentionally or otherwise. Great minds just think alike. Since there are so many mambers with so many posts, and I was not flipping hubs, I would have not seen your post. Please accept my sincere apology.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't worry, just make another one but using steel parts, not plastic.
Works better and you can claim it your's... :razz:

Make sure your tool comes to rest exactly where the red arrow points at...!

G.

Attachments

Odyssey M

I used this same method after checking out CARNAC's post (2 piece build). It worked great--both are good ideas. I think next time around, I would add the collar you have on yours. The 3" pipe by itself was a smidge off, but still very workable.:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks