• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Info for picking up a m105a3

morewood

I've got two to pick up and just need some info to fill in my blanks. I know the a3 is wide, but how wide at the tires? I've seen them loaded on car haulers, but the numbers would be nice. Lucky for me I can remove the fenders easily to help. Also, I'm bringing an impact to help with anything stubborn....what size lug nuts are on this trailer? I only have a 101 and 1102 and know that these are much larger. I think I have all the other stuff needed....straps, come-along, chains, hi-lift, assorted tools and lube, may try to find a dolly for the lunette. I'll even bring the pintle hitch to help move them around. I'll take any info you guys have.

Thanks,
Shea

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Much larger than what you have played with in the past. Lug nuts are 1.5 inch. How far is the recovery?

wvu dodge

From the info I've been able to piece together on these, they are 94" outside track width. Much bigger than your standard 82" car hauler, which has stopped me from bidding on one. I'd like to have one, but would prefer to trailer it home vs tow it, just for simplicity and peace of mind. I think you need a deckover for this. And hauling 2 of them, I'd be double checking lots of measurements before I took off with an 18ft trailer to haul them. I'd think a 20ft trailer would do it easy though.

morewood

Trailer isn't an issue length-wise, 21ft. I saw a thread on here by 'pawnshop' I believe that showed two on a 20ft trailer and it seemed to be a standard car hauler width. Also, the 94" seems to be the total width....outside of fenders if I read the TM properly. The trailers are approximately 500 miles one way behind a 1-ton truck. If I can keep the trailers lined up on the hauler I was hoping the widthwould work out, tight I know, but work out. If I hadn't bought two then towing it would be preferable as it would save a lot of work. Thanks for the replies so far.

Shea

Doug Roberts

Hey Shea ... Albemarle NC isn't too far away from you. Jim Henry has a salvage yard there, his # 704-983-5940 . He has NOS stake racks for the M105 , has maybe 2 pallets but he has none of one side ( fiberglass). He's a good resource for just about anything and everything.

morewood

I apologize for never replying after I retrieved the trailers. Having removable fenders is a huge plus. The trailer tires slightly rub each other when being loaded/unloaded, so the width is under 90" easily. I think I have a couple of pics on the phone and will try to get them posted. If I can remember I will get an actual measurements for the outside of the tires. Now to figure out how to get it backed up.

Shea