• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Info needed

ZZHD

I am about to buy a m543 wrecker. It's a early 60's multi fuel low milage and hour's. Is there anything I should know or check on before buying? Any info or word's of wisdom are much appreciated.Thank's No pictures yet.

PaulbusMax

Howdy brother. The TM section is down here right now, but check out JATONKA's M54 series TM download page I've found folks are strongly encouraged to do a lot of searching to answer their questions. Like any vehicle that's new to you, a good inspection is mandatory, especially before hitting the road. After you've done a bunch of research, folks will help you out (with less harassment). We'll like pictures of your prize! If i knew anything about those, i'd try to give you a summary of what to look at. Good luck.

area52

see if there are any leaks, make sure the crane and winches work as they should, check all lights gauges tires.

Really its like buying any other vehicle, check it out thoroughly. Make sure it has a title!!!

jimmcld

One of the things to look for that is unique to a wrecker is the accessories that are supplied with the wrecker. Does it have the four snatch blocks, the tow bar, the wiffle tree, the three sets of chains, the tire chains, and many more items that could add up to a lot of money if you have to buy them in order to make your wrecker complete. All of the items that origionally came with it are listed in the TM. Other than these items, it's just like any other used vehicle. Make sure everything works, if possible. If not possible, keep your fingers crossed.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Having owned a multi-fuel 5 ton I can tell you about the lack of power when you put a 180 HP engine in a vehicle that weighs around 34-36k.

It will not pull a greasy string out of a cats ahole going down the road.

That being said if you just need a vehicle for lifting and moving stuff around the yard it will be a good one.....in low range/low gear it will pull ells half acre if you can hook a chain to it.

On a wrecker you need to pay attention to the hydrolic hoses, controls and pumps.

I replaced one hose on my M816 that cost me over 100 bucks to have made up. If you blow the wrong hose you will pump 50 gallons of hydrolic oil out on the ground before you know it.

The total cost for replacing all of the big hoses that run the crane would have been over 1200 bucks if I had done all of them at once.

There are several gear boxes that run the crane and rear winch that are very expensive to repair/replace.

You need to check the air systems and the brakes and all the lights.....that is an old truck and all of the systems will be subject to the ravages of time and neglect.

I would have the current owner crank it up and show you how to operate all the systems and make sure they work.