• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Info on My Truck?

Creekside

I have an interesting vehicle for the experts here to figure out for me. I've gone ahead and bought a 1976 K/V 30 Chevy that was an Army vehicle here in Canada. It's EXACTLY the same in appearance to the M1008 truck except it has a few obvious differences and I'm sure someone here has a bit more info on them then I do.

Specs:
1976 Chev K Series 4WD. VIN identifies it as a K/V 20, Insurance sees it as a 30.
Chev 350 SB, Dana 44 front, 14 Bolt FF rear. NP203 X-fer case
Dual gas tanks (one has been removed)
Blackout lights on front in grille, and mounted in rear bumper (they don't work atm)
Brush Guard
12v electrical system
Faded pea green paint, under a fantastic brushed on Black Tremclad job :(

Mechanically, the truck is great, but I'm going to have to do some surgery on the body, it's a tad rough, but nothing that can't be fixed eventually

I got the appraisal done, now I just have to start repairing the truck so I can get a safety on it. I'm hoping to attempt to restore it as well as possible. Any information on this truck is going to be great, I'm also going to go through the CUCV manuals and see if this vehicle shares any similarities beyond the obvious.

Thanks everyone!

buzzinhalfdozzen

If it has a 44 up front it's not a 30. I didn't know canada was smart enough to stay away from the junk 6.2. Are you sure somebody didn't just put a brushgaurd and lights on a civy truck?

Edit: Was the 6.2 even available in 76? I don't think I've seen a US surplus truck in the 70's body style.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a few threads covering this truck. Can't look it up right now.

They are early CUCVs and where used in Canada. Some even made it into the movies.

Do an advanced search in the CUCV forum for "Canada CUCV"

Creekside

No, it's a Mil-Spec truck, as there are a few around here. I guess Canada was a test bed for the M1008 is all.

There is a VERY poor photo of the truck but you can get the idea. Gotta love the horrible black brushed on gloss tremclad that I'm going to have a **** of a time removing.

dstang97

If it has a 44 up front it's not a 30. I didn't know canada was smart enough to stay away from the junk 6.2. Are you sure somebody didn't just put a brushgaurd and lights on a civy truck?

Edit: Was the 6.2 even available in 76? I don't think I've seen a US surplus truck in the 70's body style.
A 6.2 is junk? how is that. I have had 4 of them and they all run/ran mint. Do you have a life experience or just read posts from very reliable people on the internet?

dstang97

Also a quick search would have found the years of a Dana 60 front (first year 1977) and the 6.2 (first year 1982)