• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Info please on short circuited MEP 805A

Kdtty3k

Am very new to this generator. I use it to run greenhouses on the farm. The machine ran fine for the first 3 days and one of the guy decided to add more greenhouses to it, while hooking it up he short circuited it 5-6 times. The last time it was short i crank the machine and hold it for 20-30sec and the battery terminals melted alittle bit. Now i have no power out to the panel, i did try reset the DC. Control Power knob. please help

Attachments

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Am very new to this generator. I use it to run greenhouses on the farm. The machine ran fine for the first 3 days and one of the guy decided to add more greenhouses to it, while hooking it up he short circuited it 5-6 times. (Please describe what this means. How did it short circuit? Did the Short circuit fault light come on? Or the overload? Did you reset the fault indicator?) The last time it was short i crank the machine and hold it for 20-30sec and the battery terminals melted a little bit. (What terminals? Pos? Neg? Were the terminals tight?) Now i have no power out to the panel, (What panel? Is the fault indicator showing a fault light?) i did try reset the DC. Control Power knob. (What are you calling a "DC Control Power Knob? I am not sure what you mean by that) please help

Kdtty3k

Please describe what this means. How did it short circuit? Did the Short circuit fault light come on? Or the overload? Did you reset the fault indicator?)
Short Circuit light came on, overload light came on, and yes i did reset the faulty indicator light.
What terminals? Pos? Neg? Were the terminals tight?)
Both neg and pos terminals on the battery on the positive side were melted alittle, but the other battery is still fine.
What panel? Is the fault indicator showing a fault light?)
i tested both batteries snd they are both good, bit no. Power going to that whole panel,
C3B4F28E-CE37-426E-A512-53A8B2284ABD.jpeg
What are you calling a "DC Control Power Knob? I am not sure what you mean by that)

The one you pull it out snd push back in FDE5CEF3-1E18-46B7-AF6C-4522F4AA7C49.jpeg

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
The battery posts could have melted because they were loose. When they are properly attached, the top of the post should be higher then the clamp. I always used a socket, to drive them down a bit, after loosening the claps up. Didn't wail on them, just tapped em down.

The DC control power knob, is a Circuit Breaker. Its called CB1. It normally only pops out, when you have a problem with the DC voltage, in the set. It has nothing to do with output voltage, (AC).

TQG gen sets do not work well when the battery's are not in tip top shape. So it a good idea to keep them charged up. Some folks get two chargers and hook one up to each battery. Some folks get a charger that can do 24 volts.

i tested both batteries snd they are both good, bit no. Power going to that whole panel,

By "Power going to that whole panel", do you mean the control panel?

Kdtty3k

Please describe what this means. How did it short circuit? Did the Short circuit fault light come on? Or the overload? Did you reset the fault indicator?)
Short Circuit light came on, overload light came on, and yes i did reset the faulty indicator light.
What terminals? Pos? Neg? Were the terminals tight?)
Both neg and pos terminals on the battery on the positive side were melted alittle, but the other battery is still fine.
What panel? Is the fault indicator showing a fault light?)
View attachment 811536
What are you calling a "DC Control Power Knob? I am not sure what you mean by that)

The one you pull it out snd push back in View attachment 811537
The battery posts could have melted because they were loose. When they are properly attached, the top of the post should be higher then the clamp. I always used a socket, to drive them down a bit, after loosening the claps up. Didn't wail on them, just tapped em down.

The DC control power knob, is a Circuit Breaker. Its called CB1. It normally only pops out, when you have a problem with the DC voltage, in the set. It has nothing to do with output voltage, (AC).

TQG gen sets do not work well when the battery's are not in tip top shape. So it a good idea to keep them charged up. Some folks get two chargers and hook one up to each battery. Some folks get a charger that can do 24 volts.

By "Power going to that whole panel", do you mean the control panel?
yes no power going to the panel, and i also tested the fuel pump, it doesn’t have power

nextalcupfan

IMO you need to go through the TM's steps on 24V issues.
I had a similar problem after maintenance on my 803a, spent 20 min pulling my hair out, got the TM out and followed each step 1 by 1 and found the problem in 30 seconds. (Dead crank switch was off)

Guyfang

Staff member
Is the big red switch, (S17) pulled out?

You said that you had reset the CB-1. You should have 24VDC at both sides of the CB1, and both sides of the S17. Check them with a meter.

robertsears1

May not apply in your case, but on my 804a I would often get a short circuit light when the compressor on my FDECU-5 (5 ton heat pump/AC) Comes on due to the huge inrush of current. My 804b is not as touchy to a sudden load. You mentioned that someone was trying to bring on line more greenhouses when the short circuit light Would illuminate. Do you know how many amps that is?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks