• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Information for braking instructions for a M1083

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS. I'm a little unclear what you need related to braking instructions. The FMTV platform uses air brakes.

As for for top speed there are many discussions here related to speed and gearing. Please use the search function and spend some time reading. In general, this generation military trucks are 55 mph max.

coachgeo

I am looking for help and information for braking instructions and maximum speed of a M1083.
Robert Margeson
229-883-5350
robert@margesonlaw.com
for personal information or collecting info for a law suit?

Would think a lawyer would know how much of a PITA it is for websites* like this when people post contact information *(attracts Spam and Phishing bots which attract scammers and a whole lot of others on the coat tails of that). In future consider asking for folk to PM you for contact info.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I think he is looking for any speed restrictions or any special braking issues dealing with this truck.

rmargeson

Yes I don't know how all this reply stuff works as I am a new member, but I sent a long detailed message about 10 mi ago. I need someone knowledgeable with 1083 and also somewhat on 1078 to testify about the specific Braking warnings on M1083 in Warning section which shows that although air brakes, that if you mash the brakes rapidly 3 to 4 they will fail and may cause carnage and bloodshed on the roadway. I need a witness as I am a lawyer, and the other side (no expert) says the brakes simply failed and these special warning is just a bunch of minor stuff and the owner does not have to abide by these warnings. My earlier replies show my requests in more detail. I need a witness with knowledge of M1083 and its amendments and warnings to stand up to new owner.

Thank you. Robert Margeson, I am about to be out of my office and away from my computer until tomorrow. THanks, RMM

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here we go. The M1083 has a GVW that requires a class B drivers license. To obtain this license you are required to perform the "cola" air brake test, which requires you to pump the brake pedal dozens of times in quick succession. This will not cause the brakes to fail. The brakes on the FMTV trucks are commercial off the shelf components made by Haldex and others, and are used on thousands of medium trucks of that era. Sounds like someone was driving a truck that was not being operated or maintained by a competent person.

coachgeo

... I need someone knowledgeable with 1083 and also somewhat on 1078 to testify about the specific Braking warnings on M1083 in Warning section which shows that although air brakes, that if you mash the brakes rapidly 3 to 4 they will fail and may cause carnage and bloodshed on the roadway. I need a witness as I am a lawyer, and the other side (no expert) says the brakes simply failed and these special warning is just a bunch of minor stuff and the owner does not have to abide by these warnings. My earlier replies show my requests in more detail. I need a witness with knowledge of M1083 and its amendments and warnings to stand up to new owner. ...
This is a truck you sold and then they had brake issues?

Has anyone seen these warnings in the TM's?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is what is written in the TM: Must be what your client is referring to.

Do not press brake pedal hard three or four times in a row. Air supply
will be used up and service brakes will not work until air pressure
builds up again. Do not operate vehicle until FRONT and REAR BRAKE
AIR pressure reaches at least 100 psi (690 kPa). Failure to comply may
result in serious injury or death to personnel or damage to equipment.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If you repeatedly mash the brake enough to drain the air down below 60 psi the spring brakes should stop the truck if there's not enough air to keep them disengaged. And that's hard to do with the lmtv dual piston air compressor. Sounds to me like the rear brakes were caged or something else wrong with them. And the truck was operating on service brakes only. Which air applied by sending air. Lack of air will inhibit service brake operation. Not the trucks fault if the driver is operating an unsafe vehicle. A stuck anti compounding valve could possibly cause the rear spring brakes to not engage. This comes back to the junk air dryer on the truck allowing moisture into the air system over time and then the truck sitting. And if the dryer is clogged up too then you can have slower air pressure building. More info is needed about what really happened.

rmargeson

Thanks for replying What happened was a City in Georgia acquired via grant a M1083 from military in "As Is" condition. city sent a driver to P/U the truck who formerly had a class B license but his current license was a Class F. He was given no instructions and he picked up truck drove it to get painted and then month later same driver with no specific instructions was requested to pU the M1083 some 75 miles away at paint shop. No checks were made of any kind, no test drives, and then while in route to City, they went through Albany, and brakes failed as he said he pumped brakes fast 3 to 4 times in a row, and in violation of warning section in op manual on p. 12. I thought Warning Section violation should be a mandatoryh requirement. Will talk later, as I have to go to church. Thanks, Robert Margeson

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you are representing the injured party. Unfortunately for the "City in Georgia", they were negligent in many ways. The over 26,000 GVWR truck requires a Class B operator, probably a Class B CDL operator. Government owned vehicles are not exempted from FMCSA rules either which apply at that GVW. Where is the safety inspection certificate?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please note that the air driers on these trucks really were not junk and work fine if serviced properly. It's only the availability of newer air driers for sale (which are more easily serviced) that has caused denigration of the original driers. The trucks are not basically dangerous.

As stated earlier, this same type brake system is in use in millions of trucks. Those drivers know not to pump the brakes excessively. That's how air brakes work!

rmargeson

Atty Robert

Yes sir. THanks for follow up in my inquiry. I am sure I need to have this on a more private section, but I don't know all the special language and requirements on this website just yet.

This language in the warning section in the M1083's operational Manual about not pumping the brakes 3 to 4 times in succession is exactly what I am referring t
o. In my case, I apparently have several things which I believe the City failed to do which placed innocent citizens including their own driver in harm's way. The City bought a M1083, and they had purchased a M1078 two years early. (1) First of all, apparently, their driver did not currently have a Class B license. May have formerly had one, but City did not require its driver who was involved in its initial pickup and transport back to the City to have a Class B license even though operational manual does require a Class B. License. (2) The City did Not send a mechanic to check out the operational parts of the Cargo truck such as the brakes, the steering, the gauges, the tires, the motor, etc when the driver came to Ft. Benning where they picked it up in their initial pickup and transportation of either vehicle, (3) The city didn't require its drive to do a test drive or make a pretrip inspection. (4) The City did not require its drivers to read & study the vehicle's operational manual to insure that its driver was aware off all the special operational instructions and warnings contained therein. (5) City did not require its drivers to be sufficiently trained and qualified to drive these surplus military vehicles, i.e. the M1083 which is focal point in our case, or the M1078 which they acquired earlier.

What I need is a former driver in the military of a M1083 and also a M1o78 whihc is familiar with the operation of same, familiar with the operations Manual, and who could testify of these vehicle's requirements and what could happen if the new owner does not abide by the operational requirements. The case is in south Georgia, close to I-75. I can pay a reasonable fee for a witness to testify for us in court, and also for testifying in a deposition. All I want is the truth about this vehicle so I can tell a jury after hearing a former military operator testify that what was done was not proper and was in violation of op manual and was dangerous (assuming all of this is true), and I would pay for all transportation fees and fees in testifying and even lodging etc. if necessary. I need your help, and a former military driver is the best expert I could ever hop to find and it does not matter if you have never testified before. Your courtesy is appreciated. Thanks. Robert Margeson, Phone number 229 883-5350- office or Cell 229-575-6373. Your prompt attention and assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you. again. Robert

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The miltary does not train truck drivers per Federal laws which govern commercial motor vehicle use on public roads. Unless your former military driver is now a CDL driver, you will not get the expert testimony relevant in this case.

rmargeson

I hate to hear this, but it is what it is. Do you by chance know anyone who was a former driver of a M1083 who is now a Commercial Truck Driver?

rmargeson

Where can I obtain a certified copy of the Op. Manual for the M1083 Cargo Truck? I already obtained an internet copy of manual from internet. But this won't be admissible in evidence, unless I get someone who has appropriate knowledge from former use etc. to certify it is a true and correct copy of the operations manual with corrections, warnings and changes as of our date of February 18, 2016. I am hitting a lot of stone walls, but surely someone knows and has sufficient knowledge of this manual to be able to testify as to whether it is a true and correct copy of same. I would also be willing to pay for the services for someone who knows this . I could probably come to his location. THanks again Sincerely, Robert

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If the brakes failed to stop that truck it can ONLY be due to a mechanical fault. I suggest getting the truck to a facility that can go thru it and determine what failed.