• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ingersoll Rand Gyro-Flo air compressor, lubrication info wanted.

elderjag

Changed the oil to aw-32. I ran in a little while and Changed it again. I still have oil coming out of the intake of the air compressor. I must have another problem

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Update- My compressor has been great. No idea how the oil separator works but the air is always perfectly clean. I did bore it out 040. It ran really nice w/ no smoke but there was some metal in the oil so went in for a look see. Turns out rain water would leak down the ex stack and get into the manifold then cyl. Apparently it had rusted up many times. Some before just kept honing it out. The 040 pistons would fit in the top of the std bore. The air filter is oil bath and a poor design. From what I have read it collects water then dumps loads of oil and grit in the air pump when level goes up slightly. Mine was over full and full of water. Very high restriction when properly serviced. I wish Carl Kiekhaefer got into NASCAR a few years earlier. His paper filter idea swept thru the auto industry when everyone realized it was better. Got a M715 filter in the livingroom that may go in it. Fuel economy sucks. MPG is like 160 gals per mile (because it just moves around the yard a few time a month).

hankpy

Jim, Sounds good, you've been working on it awhile. It should give you years of service. The water in the exhaust pipe/manifold had seized a valve on mine at times before I put a bucket over the exhaust pipe.

Good luck, Harold

hankpy

elderjag, Oil out the intake dose not sound like the same issue with oil mixed in the compressed air discharge service line. The discharge line would be related to the vanes in the compressor, type of oil, viscosity, detergents, etc.

The air intake may be related to the oil-bath air cleaner. Mine would have some oil come out if the engine shut down under a load backfired and ran backwards slightly.

Dose the oil come out of the air intake while the engine is running and building pressure?

You can try this: drain all the oil out the the intake oil bath filter (leave the oil pan off) and run it (in a clean environment), and see where the oil is coming from.

As Jim mentioned, the oil bathed air cleaners can be a pain.

Harold

nmcd

I have a Ingersoll gra-125, you seem to have a good amount of knowledge about them from reading your threads. I was wondering if you had a part number for the oil/air separator? I have a manual with the old part number but haven’t had luck crossing it. Havent called Ingersoll yet, will do that after the holidays if no luck here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks