• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

INIpower IG-1000

PJL

Inipower IG-1000

Recently I acquired 2 non-running IG-1000’s from the 1033 program. Both had single digit hours. One had been dropped or smashed. Probably deliberately. It would run on starting fluid then die. The nicer looking one wouldn’t run at all.

I combined enough parts to get one working unit. It’s built out of a modified Yamaha EF1000iS. On the unit it is labelled JP8 or F24 (JetA) fuels only. But it’s basically a gas generator so it runs fine on gasoline.

I put over 300 hours on it. These are my notes.

I ran a few gallons of JetA in it. I was very skeptical that a spark ignition engine would run on JetA. It does. You must squirt the starting fluid to get it going. It does produce less power than on gas and it pings under load and when the throttle opens.

Next I tried diesel. I had about 45 gallons of diesel that was pumped out of a generator. Someone had put gasoline in it. Probably 10% gas mix. Inipower claims the generator will run on contaminated fuels.

It was harder to start when cold but once it fired up it ran okay. I had to fiddle with the choke to get it running smooth. At about 200 hours it really started to need frequent maintenance. Spark plug was fouling almost every tank. I had to swap it out daily. It also makes oil. The level in the crankcase would get too high and it would shut down. I had to pour out the excess. I was changing it about every 3-4 tanks. I used some Castrol synthetic 0W-40. Only because I got about 6 quarts for free. The spark arrestor screen was completely carboned up. It’s easy to pull out and clean.

One other issue. It wouldn’t shut off. It would keep running even with no spark. It sounded like an old hit and miss engine. I had to either choke it or close the fuel valve and let it die.

The hour meter/temp gauge quit working. The temp display went blank. It must have a battery in it but you can’t take it apart. It’s glued together.

Bottom line. It does work as advertised but will need a lot of fiddling to keep it running. Works great as a gas powered generator. I did not try propane or any other liquids.

I don’t have the TM. I uploaded the manual that came with it. Any major work you can consult the Yamaha service manual. I’ve seen them on Govplanet selling for very high prices. Frankly I wouldn’t pay much for one.

Note that these all have low hours and several have dead temp gauges.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

rickf

I have a sneaky suspicion your links are going to be deleted because they are to an auction and that is against the rules but I will say that anybody, and I mean ANYBODY, that would pay 10 grand for a little generator is totally out of their mind!!!!!!! And those are the exact shape of the Chinese one I bought from Amazon which is supposed to have originally been made in the USA, A Wen 56203i. I paid 365.00 new with a warranty! And mine is 2,000 watts. I could buy 10 of those for the cheapest price paid at auction for those junkers!!!!

Ray70

Probably not a big deal at this point. Those auctions are all closed already. I believe the rule is intended more for posting or discussing upcoming auctions, not so much closed auctions.
I agree... I would never pay $2000 ea. plus fees ( that $10K auction was for 5 units ) for something that doesn't seem very reliable. I would think a new Honda 2000w With a warranty could be found for about 1/2 the price once you add in the fees and pickup / delivery cost.

Guyfang

Staff member
As a rule, anything that is a link, is foolish to be posted in the forum. Sooner or later, the link is broken and then that thread is worthless. If anyone here can give me a good reason to not delete the links, then they are history.

rickf

The only reason I can think of is if you delete it now then what has already been said will no longer make any sense. so the whole thread would need to go. Can you delete the links without deleting his pictures? That has most of the info he was trying to get across anyway. He does have some good info on getting them running although to me it just reinforces what I said, garbage for huge dollars!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks