• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injection pump: fuel supply line

I_Publius

I searched in the TM 9–2 320–289–34 for instructions on how to replace the fuel supply line, but I’m having trouble finding reference to doing that.

Must you remove the intake manifold in order to remove and add a new fuel supply line?

Mice chewed through the fuel line and I need to replace it only. The injection pump is new and was working perfectly prior to these mice having their snack.

I am hoping there is a way to go in under the manifold to replace that line and that someone can coach me through what tool is needed to remove the fuel line from the IP connector perhaps point to the correct TM that shows how to do that only.

If it is not an option, I will follow the instructions and go through the entire process of replacing the manifold and all the gaskets again.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The easiest thing to do would be to remove the intake manifold. I mean I'm sure you could do some endoscopic surgery on your fuel line, but if you managed to succeed, it would probably take ten times as long. Most likely you'd get it apart and not be able to get it back together without removing the manifold anyway. IIRC, the intake manifold gaskets are metal. You would probably be fine cleaning them up for reuse.

Edit to add that if you've got a problem with mice eating that hose, you can get some fittings to put steel braided line in there.

Barrman

I have learned to remove the air filter, put a lawn chair cushion over it and the front of the engine and then lay on it. With a 1/4” drive ratchet with a 1/4” short socket on it. I can then work a hand under the back of the intake to the hose clamp and loosen it. The hose is also a 1/4” ID hose.

Putting the new hose on I still lay on the engine. But, I put the hose clamp at such an angle to use a long extension from outside the intake between intake runners to tighten the clamp up.

Realize the air in the new hose will run your pump dry. You will have to cycle the starter a good bit to get the IP primed again.

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have learned to remove the air filter, put a lawn chair cushion over it and the front of the engine and then lay on it. With a 1/4” drive ratchet with a 1/4” short socket on it. I can then work a hand under the back of the intake to the hose clamp and loosen it. The hose is also a 1/4” ID hose.

Putting the new hose on I still lay on the engine. But, I put the hose clamp at such an angle to use a long extension from outside the intake between intake runners to tighten the clamp up.

Realize the air in the new hose will run your pump dry. You will have to cycle the starter a good bit to get the IP primed again.
Do you take out the intake filter studs? Seems like they'd skewer you.