• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injection Pump help (Kansas City area)

HardCorps79

So, I need some advice, and maybe some hands-on assistance. The IP on my 1009 is non-functioning for the time being. Here's the situation:

Had leaking seals on the the throttle shaft. Got the parts and replaced them. No problem there.

Problem is:
1. Had a foreign object (small gasket?) blew into the open pump. Can't get it out. How much trouble is this going to cause? Solutions?

2. One of the three IP cover bolts was broken off just above the surface. Can I risk JB Weld or just use the other two bolts to keep the cover on?

3. The roller clamp on the pssgr side of the throttle shaft also broke. I can almost certainly get a replacement for a few bucks from Northeast Diesel (Stanadyne shop in Blue Springs).

4. I've never messed with an IP removal/change out before. Am I going to mess up the timing if I remove it and/or replace it- are there any special considerations?

Options I'm considering:
-the bare minimum- replace the broken clamp, ignore the broken cover bolt and risk the foreign object. I only drive locally, so if it dies, I'm not completely stranded.

-second option is replace the IP with a take-off I can get for about $100.

-third option is remove the old IP, flush the object, take it to a machine shop to drill out the broken cover bolt (not going to risk this myself), and of course replace the broken clamp.

-fourth, leave it in the driveway until next month when I can afford a rebuilt pump.

Any of the options other than the first, though, I'm going to need some help from somewhere, to remove and reinstall the IP.

Advice, opinions, etc????

Westech

CPL
O man get a new pump! there super ez to replace. Get your self a shop repair manual and you will be good to go. Trust me you can do a pump in 60 min or less no problem.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Westy can do a pump in 60 minutes with the oil fill short cut. I can do one in 2 hrs. but I just don't like that oil fill short cut. Anytime I do a pump I generally do a water pump too.

Westech

CPL
Its not a short cut.. its in the books to do it that way... they just don't tell ya how ****ED you are if you drop a bolt down in there. But if you just take a pill and do it right its all good to go.

HardCorps79

I would end up being the idiot who drops the bolt. :oops:

So, Westech, when can you come to KC?....8) I'll buy the pizza and beverages.

I can get a rebuilt take-off pump from another member on here for $100 bucks (not new, but better than original). It will probably be a few days for it to get here. I really don't have the dough for a newly rebuilt pump.

And what sort of wrench/socket do you use to get the crankcase nut off of the drivers side, down at the bottom. I can't seem to fit anything in there, due to the throttle cable bracket. Maybe a flex head? (The only side I can get a wrench on already has a rounded corner, and I only have about 1" to move the wrench)

Westech

CPL
its a little tricky but you can do it. Just take some working at it to get the nuts out. And I will get to KS as soon as I get out of the Army..... we thinking about 6 months or so lol

HardCorps79

Alright, so the M1009 has been dead in the driveway for almost a month now, due to a shot IP. Am getting a take-off (can't afford a rebuild right now) replacement. When I change out the IP, is there anything I need to do with regard to the timing, or is it just a straight part swap?

kennyw

You will need to reset the timing after you swap out the pump. That will require some expensive equipment you probably can't afford, so I'd call around for a local shop quote. You just set the timing marks between the block and IP for base timing. That will be enough to drive it to the shop. Last time I did it (~1999) it cost me $35 to have the timing set.

HardCorps79

So, here's what's happening. I'm leaving for a military training school for the next 6 weeks, so I didn't have time to get a new IP ordered, so I'm getting the one I have repaired- not rebuilt, though. It was working great with a few exceptions.

The throttle shaft O-rings have been replaced. A machine shop is drilling out and rethreading the broken IP cover bolt. The stanadyne shop is replacing the bolt, and the broken face cam. Will probably have the guy flush the debris out and check the other seals. Now I just need to find a place in KC to reset the timing once I put it back in. Total cost is looking like $150.

I'm probably going to go for a full rebuild later this year, but the Stanadyne guy seems to think it will be fine. He does all the work for the local National Guard and has for decades, so I'm inclined to take his word. I also know who I'll be having do the rebuild.

I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm going to be busy the next couple days!

jag7720

HardCorps79 - Who are you talking to in KC? Who is your Stanadyne guy? I'm in KC and I think I am havine IP issues as well. I'd like to talk to someone about it.