• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injection pump leaking fuel into "valley" M1008

DLord

I understand that this is asking for a shot from the hip, so I'm just fishing here in case anyone has had a similar experience. I recently replaced the fuel shut off solenoid on top of the pump and it works fine. Before I had did that, the truck would not start for numerous reasons, as it had sat dormant in an Oklahoma field for at least a year before I acquired it. So, changed the fuel filter and fuel pump, then the FSO solenoid. Truck starts and runs beautifully now. But then I saw fuel dripping at a solid rate under the truck, off the starter mount and bell housing. I finally traced it to the pump and noticed that the valley under the air filter was full of fuel. I cleaned it up, and started the truck and observed that area and saw fuel coming from the lower aft (cab side) of the pump, but my view is obstructed by the intake, SO (finally, sorry) I was just wondering if anyone cares to guess if it's a seal, loose fitting, or what. I can't see the actual source, I can only see the fuel leaking from the area. Since the truck didn't run when I got it, I don't know if it was leaking before or if changing the mechanical pump or the FSO solenoid would be relative.

Merddin

Probably the throttle shaft seals, that's where mine leaks before it warms up. Mine drips on the driver's side of the IP and can be seen from the front. Mine stops dripping once the truck warms up.

cucvrus

Word of advice. If you plan on running this vehicle and making it somewhat dependable. If it were mine I would send the injection pump out and have it rebuilt. It will save you a lot of stress and heart ache. With no know history and everything you already mentioned it is going south fast. And being that you have to remove the intake manifold to access the throttle shaft that is over 1/2 way there. Do as you wish. I am just giving you a bit of sound advice. Take it or leave it. I prefer driving my vehicles when they are up and running. Fix everything right up front the first time and drive on. Have a Great Day.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could run it a bit, get it to normal temps a lot and maybe the seals will expand and dry up since it had been sitting.

A rebuild is probably due as mentioned.

TGP (IL)

Just went through this.
Mine was leaking from the advance piston lower right side.
It can also leak from the throttle shaft or the pump drive weep hole bottom of
Mounting flange.

You need to remove and have pump rebuilt.
It's not going to get any better or fix itself.

With the proper tools it's not bad to remove.
Luckily we have a couple good pump rebuild shops here in STL.
Tom

Merddin

Just went through this.
Mine was leaking from the advance piston lower right side.
It can also leak from the throttle shaft or the pump drive weep hole bottom of
Mounting flange.

You need to remove and have pump rebuilt.
It's not going to get any better or fix itself.

With the proper tools it's not bad to remove.
Luckily we have a couple good pump rebuild shops here in STL.
Tom
I am just south of you! My wife grew up near Belleville.
Miles diesel in Jackson mo rebuilds most pumps for all the diesel places in SE Missouri.
I have an IP rebuild on my to do list. He quoted me 450.

My dad has a 53 Dodge m37 , yours looks nice in profile pic.

Abbylind

I bought the rebuild kit for the top of the injector pump from Gomers diesel back in 2001. It was leaking out of the throttle shaft.....Still working after 17 years...YMMV