• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

injection pump questions

spencer p

I have been looking for hours!! I have a deuce that is making oil, 4.5 % fuel on my oil sample report. the FDC is by passed and I have no flame heater. this leaves the Hydraulic head o-rings and possibly the gear pump, can somebody explain to me how the gear pump can allow fuel in the oil. also even though the FDC is by passed how does it allow fuel to get in the oil? the truck has new injectors so its not a slobbering injector. I also have another question, I need gaskets for the fuel shut off cover the cover where the fuel comes into the pump and back out to the filters- and another cover or two. memphis eq. does not have them, can a pump shop get them? thanks for any help you can provide.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have to, you can make the gasket. it keeps engine oil in.

The boost pump is gear driven, the gear driven shaft has a seal and can leak. The boost pump is low on the side of the IP(has fuel lines connected to it). It is close to the steering gear box. You can pull it out and turn on the power switch on the dash. With the in-tank fuel pump running, you may see the fuel leaking , you may not. if it is leaking there, the fule simply runs into the base though the IP housing(it has oil supplied to it and it drains back by gravity)

With the shut off cover removed, did you run the in-tank pump and watch for fuel leakage from the HH orings or shaft?

Those are you 2 most likely problem areas, if you FDC has been bypassed.

spencer p

no i did not, can you be more specific, remove the cover, turn on pump and I am looking for fuel dripping into this area-which leads to the crank case? correct?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no i did not, can you be more specific, remove the cover, turn on pump and I am looking for fuel dripping into this area-which leads to the crank case? correct?

The only problem I see with that is intank only puts out maybe 4 to 7 psi
With engine running and without looking at TM's something like 35 psi idle and as much as 75psi 2600rpm.
If I thought it was the little O ring on the fuel shaft and I might see it leak I would run the motor at least 2400 rpm with shut down cover off and use you finger to shut it down when done.

Also Graingers has the Viton O rings for the HH. AS568A-227 and AS568A-230

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
for the booster pump the engine does not have to be running.
if you are in doubt, just replace the seal, about $6
for the HH 'o' rings, it does.
with cold weather here, the shaft seal is much more likely to leak.
having the FDC bypassed means NO lines to it at all.

tom

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
how many hours are on the oil to make the 4.5% dilution? are changing all of these seals a fairly easy job? From what i understand, pulling the HH isnt that hard to do.

spencer p

only about 190 miles in 1 year, it is 1 of three brush trucks on our FD, oh and it would help if I were looking at the right truck, this one has not had the FDC bypassed, took 20 mins and did it, we will start there. sometimes my head is in a dark and stinky place.

Towerguy1

Past experiance here, I did the one seal at a time thing and after several attemts, I had basicly replaced them all. These pumps are old reguardless of miles and hours. If one is leaking its best to replace them all. Its not that expensive to do and will save lots of future troubles as the others fail due to age. These pumps seem to hold up well and usually a fresh set of seals is all they need. Some shops will do this at a reduced rate or you can do this yourself if your careful. If the truck is still in service check the oil often, there will be a significant rise in oil if a seal fully fails is a short amount of time.

spencer p

my booster pump seems to be leaking oil, screws and bolts are tight, will it come off and clear the steering gear box so I can make a gasket for it?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
at the worst case, you will have to remove the 2 bolts for the front motor mount and move the engine assy over to the right. not a big deal really.

tom

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if i were to do an engine swap in my deuce (to an LDS) i was thinking that would be a good time to change all the seals seeing the pump is easy to get to. So how many are there?
  • (2) on the HH
  • (1) on the boost pump
What others would you replace? I just hate fixing things twice, rather spend the extra dime and have peace of mind.