• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injection Pump Replacement

Ando427

Hi, I have a 1986 M1009 that needs a new IP. Where would you guys recommend going to buy the replacement? I've heard lots of stories about guys buying replacement pumps which turned out to be total crap and failed on them again shortly after the install. If anyone knows where a good source is for a high quality DB2 replacement for the CUCV's it would be much appreciated.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless your missing your IP, take yours off and have it rebuilt for half the price.

Do a search for pump rebuilds.
Plenty of info on where to send it.

dom1986ck30

I am right in the middle of the process. Literally. I took mine off and I am having it rebuilt here on island at a Navy/Army Engineering outfit that deals with and for Stanadyne. I suggest to you that you keep what you have, like Tinstar replied. Old parts are the best. There are a lot of aftermarket craps out there. I am having my injectors rebuilt and want those back as well. If you are in San Diego, there is military influence there. Look around and Google it. Call Stanadyne. They will help you find an associate of theirs near you. Good Luck!!!

scottladdy

100% agree with the advice you have so far received. I (and others on this site) have had good experiences with Badger Diesel in WI. They do great rebuild work and unless you specify otherwise will provide you with a unit tuned to maximum output.

Ando427

Thanks folks! Looks like I'll go with the rebuild of the current unit. I haven't taken it off the truck yet, so I've still got some time to figure out where to go but I'll call stanadyne as suggested. If anyone else has recommendations for rebuilds in/around San Diego I'm all ears, and thanks again!

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in 2012 I pulled my pump and sent it up to Cincinnti Diesel Injection for a full rebuild. Can't remember the cost but think it was around $500. I used a vibrating etching tool to add my name and telephone number on the side of the pump housing to make sure I received the same pump back. I did, and my truck cranks and runs great. They replaced all seals and flow-tested it on the bench. Follow the instructions in the TM and you shouldn't have a problem. A word of caution, however, there is a bolt that holds the pump to the housing which must be accessed through the oil-fill tube opening. You will not be able to see this bolt with the radiator in place. I used a mirror and, presto! there it was. When you go to remove this bolt care must be taken to prevent dropping it because if you do, you will have to remove the front of the engine to get it out. I crammed a rag into the oil passage under the bolt and then used a socket with a magnet to get it out. To reinstall it after the pump has been rebuilt, you have to make sure you index the pump correctly so the bolt goes back into the correct hole. Use the mirror. Make sure all injector lines are tight at both ends and bleed the fuel system without burning up your starter. Good luck!

Attachments