• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injection pump screen

Waterhouse

When I took it apart it was horizontal like being installed, all that came out is what you see in the pictures, it might be a challenge to get back together in that position. Also the regulator ass, shown in post #8 has the regulator piston, spring and plug in it, you do not want to dissemble those components.
It would be nice if it would all stay stuck together and I could just spray some brake clean on the screen. I suppose I can’t get that lucky. Fingers crossed til tomorrow.

Waterhouse

Well I give it a try today. That sucker is tight. I was able to get a crows foot wench on the fuel line, but I couldn’t get one on the cap because of all the injector lines. I had to put a 3/4” end wench on it straight out. Then an adjustable wench on that and twist. Obviously, not the best set up, but I still could put some serious torque on it and no joy.

I sprayed it good with pb blaster and tapped it with a hammer and bar. I will try again tomorrow.

Question, did you have to completely remove the Allen lock foot thing? I backed mine out more than an 1/8”. Doesn’t seem like it could interfere.

While I had the fuel line off, I stuck it in a bucket and cranked the engine. I believe they say a pint in 30 seconds. I only cranked mine for 5 seconds, but I have no doubt it will pump a pint in 30.

Second Question, would I be crazy to put compressed air to the overflow port and force the fuel in the pump back through the screen backwards? Seems like it might force the dirt out.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I would remove the lock, it has teeth that are engaged in the cap.
I would not try to flow fuel backwards through the pump, there is probably check valves in the charge pump.

Waterhouse

So I removed the lock, but I don’t think it’s necessary. Then I tried to hit the serations with a punch. Didn’t move. Finally, I got a really strong 3/4” end wench and was able to stick a bar through the box end. I applied a lot of torque and it moved. I only turned it about a 1/4 turn, but I know it will come off. I didn’t want to remove it right now because it was getting dark and it was raining all day so there was a puddle in the engine V. Dropping little parts in there didn’t sound like a good idea. Im going on a three day weekend today, so it will have to wait till next week.

GTUnit

I like spraying some phosphoric acid based Rust Remover at rusty parts that need to come apart. It dissolves a decent amount of the rust holding the parts together.

Waterhouse

"Then I tried to hit the serations with a punch.

It has flats for a wrench...
Tea, but it doesn’t have flats for a socket. You can’t get a wench on it correctly because of the injection lines. (Not even a crows foot) Engineers being engineers. (They don’t have to work on em)

87cr250r

Notice the dab of orange paint on the retaining screw? That's tamper evident paint. You're not supposed to be taking that part off the pump. Don't blame the engineers for this one.

Do take the injection lines off. The engineers made it easy. They come off in pairs.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tea, but it doesn’t have flats for a socket. You can’t get a wench on it correctly because of the injection lines. (Not even a crows foot) Engineers being engineers. (They don’t have to work on em)
They were never meant to be dissembled on the engine, like I said that is just a last ditch effort for someone with nothing to loose

Waterhouse

Notice the dab of orange paint on the retaining screw? That's tamper evident paint. You're not supposed to be taking that part off the pump. Don't blame the engineers for this one.

Do take the injection lines off. The engineers made it easy. They come off in pairs.
Any orange paint is long gone on mine. I don’t agree with “your not supposed to do something on something you own”. In this case, it doesn’t matter who does it, it would be simple to have made a hex there instead of two flats. To remove the whole pump or even a the injection lines is kind of silly to clean a screen. So yes, I blame the engineers.

87cr250r

The DB2 pump has been utilized by nearly every engine manufacturer and the design has survived from inception to obsolescence. In that time, I think you are the first person to have this complaint.

Waterhouse

So I removed the cap tonite and there was crud.

F7315664-CA64-40FB-A137-A616D961930D.jpeg

There was quite a bit more in the cap. Some of it I had to scrape out with a screwdriver. The through hole was very small. The screen did not come off of this part. It seemed to be quite fixed. Does it just pull off? Or must it turn? I’m kind of thinking of just leaving it. (I got it clean)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It just pulls off, don't even mess with that filter get a new one.
Do you have a local diesel injection shop??

Waterhouse

It just pulls off, don't even mess with that filter get a new one.
Do you have a local diesel injection shop??
Mine doesn’t pull off easy. It’s not a filter, it’s just a screen. I don’t see any reason to replace it. No, I don’t have a diesel shop near me. I’m sure there’s one in a town an hour north of me. (Haven’t checked)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason it will not pull off easy is because the rubber end that seals against the part it is attached to has hardened, likely never seal again after you pull it off, ONE spec of crap gets into the inside of that screen and all the work was for nothing,
Mail order another screen if you have to, I would never consider re-using that screen, it is the last line of defense for your IP.
If you wash that screen from the outside you will VERY likely push crap through the screen, if you remove it to properly clean it, it will not seal correctly when put back on.

Waterhouse

The reason it will not pull off easy is because the rubber end that seals against the part it is attached to has hardened, likely never seal again after you pull it off, ONE spec of crap gets into the inside of that screen and all the work was for nothing,
Mail order another screen if you have to, I would never consider re-using that screen, it is the last line of defense for your IP.
If you wash that screen from the outside you will VERY likely push crap through the screen, if you remove it to properly clean it, it will not seal correctly when put back on.
If I get this thing under it’s own power, I will likly install a complete rebuilt injection pump. I think they are only $500. If I knew I could get this running, I don’t mind dumping 5 grand in it. But I don’t know if I can get the hydraulics sorted out. If I can’t get it to work, I really don’t want to put money in it. So for now i plan to put this back clean and move on to the next issue.

Waterhouse

View attachment 895905
And it should look like this when it goes back together.
View attachment 895906
Mogman, when you put this back together, does the roll pin go in a hole at the base? It obviously goes down the slot in the side of the pump in the first pic. The pin appears to be longer than the pump sleave Leading me to believe there’s a hole in the base. I think my pump has turned to cover the hole.

If there is a hole, is it tight on the roll pin? Like when you have it in the last pic, does it hold together?
Also is the hole in a particular location as compared to the lock screw. (9:00 if the lock screw is 12:00)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should fit up flush like the picture, I do not see how the pump could have turned.
It will not want to stay together at that angle, you may have to try and pass something through the fuel inlet fitting to hold it in place while screwing the cap on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks