• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injection pump swap and timing question

galeo7171

Quick and possible silly question. When I replaced my injection pump and set the timing to the factory timing marks, I had to really pull hard and hold the ip in place while I tightened it down. Should there have been that much tension in the pump when rotating it to set the timing?

galeo7171

When I swapped pumps, I removed the whole original pump with the lines still connected (to make it easier to change out the injectors). I installed the lines on the new pump, and then installed the pump on the truck. The lines were hooked up to the IP at the time of installation, but not hooked up to the injectors.

Barrman

Were the line tie downs at the valve covers on? Did you put on a new triangle shaped gasket between the pump and the block? Did you put anything on the gasket to make it stick better or be slippery?

Turn your old pump by hand. It is pretty easy to turn. Now, put a little sideways pressure on it and it gets a lot harder. Add in a possibly rough gasket surface, a drooping IP if the nuts are loose, lines maybe tied down and you with basically no leverage to move the pump. It can be hard to turn. Snap-On and Kent Moore both sold tools to help turn IP's way back when. Some web sites have suggested vasoline on the gasket to help do timing adjustments. Once you get it set, how much more do you plan to move it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks