• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector Pop-Tester Adapter for Deuce

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Injector Pop-Tester Adapter for the Deuce/Multifuel

As many of us have found, it's tough, if not impossible, to find a pop-test adapter to fit the Multifuel injectors. This is due to the fact that Multifuel injectors have 1/2-20 female threads (uncommon for fuel injectors). From what I understand, the adapter we need has been out of production for quite some time.

The following set-up doesn't require cutting/sacrificing any lines, it consists of high PSI fittings, and it's pretty cheap ($20-$25). It's not a Rolex, but it gets the job done...

On the injector side, I used a BQ248 by Brakequip (I'll post info below as to where the fittings can be sourced). It has the male 1/2-20 threads on one end, and is 1/8 NPT female on the other end. The 1/2-20 end doesn't have the tapered cone like a fuel line, but it does have a nice flat face milled on the end. That flat end corresponded nicely to a flat shoulder in the injector line bore, perfect for using a crush washer in between the fitting and the injector. Finding a crush washer that small is tough, so I just went to Home Depot and bought a pack of #10 BRASS Flat Washers. The washer will "dish" a bit as you tighten the adapter into the first injector you test. Just put the dome side toward the injector, and the dish side toward the adapter when you place it in the next injector. I just got done testing 12 injectors, using the same washer.

On the injector side, a Tompkins Industries MC6051-L06-02 fitting works well. It has an M12x1.5 male end which works with the M12 test line that is included with most pop-testers. The M12x1.5 fitting end has a tapered compression bore that sealed well to the tester line (the fitting comes with an M12 compression nut and 6mm sleeve that aren't needed, just exile them to your spare fitting drawer). The other end of the fitting has a male 1/8 NPT. I wraped teflon tape around the 1/8 NPT male end, making sure to keep the tape back from the end about .060" to prevent any tape bits from getting into the test line. After wrapping with the teflon, I tightened the male 1/8 NPT into the female end of the Brakequip fitting to complete the adapter.

To test an injector I'd put a #10 brass flat washer in the injector line bore, thread the 1/2-20 adapter end into the injector, attach the M12 end to the test line, and viola! No need to crank down on the fittings when attaching to the injector and test line. Just a little snug-up with the right sized wrenches kept everything tight. Just remember to take the brass washer out of the injector bore when you're done testing.

From Tubes and Hoses of Loveland (Justin) ph 970-593-6988
Brakequip #BQ248................. $4.04
Tompkins MC6051-L06-02....... $5.30
.............................................$9.34 + Shipping

Home Depot;
10 ea. #10 Brass Flat Washers.$1.18

Testing and Servicing Multifuel Injectors; https://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=666720&d=1487267247 pages 4-396 thru 4-414

View attachment 708536IMG_20171117_174002425.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting that helpful info. I have edited your post in the "Servicing deuce injectors"- thread, to add a link to this one.

Last edited:

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found it didn't work very well. Hopefully you will have better luck then I did.
That's odd... What happened Rusty?
I've used mine dozens of times. Seals perfectly every time, and I've yet to change out the brass washer I started using at the get-go.
Did the male M12 not thread/seal into the female M12 tester?
Did the male 1/8 NPT fitting not thread/seal into the female 1/8 NPT fitting?
Did the male 1/2-20 not thread into the female 1/2-20 injector?

Please expound on "didn't work very well". And if you've found something that's readily available that works better, please share! :)

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took the farm boy quick adapt route. I used a fitting that screwed into the tester and brazed a parts bin Multifuel injection line's pump head end to it with the orientation such that when the fitting was tight in the tester the line was oriented to be right to hold the injector in a good position. Works fine!

Multifuel Pop Test Adapter.jpgMultifuel Pop Tester Adapter 2.jpg

rustystud

That's odd... What happened Rusty?
I've used mine dozens of times. Seals perfectly every time, and I've yet to change out the brass washer I started using at the get-go.
Did the male M12 not thread/seal into the female M12 tester?
Did the male 1/8 NPT fitting not thread/seal into the female 1/8 NPT fitting?
Did the male 1/2-20 not thread into the female 1/2-20 injector?

Please expound on "didn't work very well". And if you've found something that's readily available that works better, please share! :)
I could not get the adapter to seal on the injector line. I tightened it down till it finally broke. So I went with some "Parker" ferrules and fittings. That has seemed to work so far. Still not the best though. I might just have to have some lines made up. Don't like getting diesel fuel squirted on me at high pressure !
I believe the problem lies with these "Indian" made injector testers. They don't have the best quality control so the actual size of their lines and fittings varies too much.

Last edited:

Beyond Biodiesel

I could not get the adapter to seal on the injector line. I tightened it down till it finally broke. So I went with some "Parker" ferrules and fittings. That has seemed to work so far. Still not the best though. I might just have to have some lines made up. Don't like getting diesel fuel squirted on me at high pressure !
I believe the problem lies with these "Indian" made injector testers. They don't have the best quality control so the actual size of their lines and fittings varies too much.
I agree with Rusty. My Indian injector pop tester only lasted a few years, and only a few sets of injector pop tests. I suspect the problem with my first pop tester was possibly because I used ULSD diesel fuel as the test medium. Since ULSD has xylene in it at 10%, and I found that it does damage silicone seals, then it might be the seals that were used on my Indian pop tester failed due to the presence of xylene at 10%. So, with my new pop tester I chose to use new ATF for the test. Hopefully it was a good choice.

By the way, I noticed someone on one of these injector tester threads was planning on using their alternative fuel blend for pop testing. I had originally considered doing that, but then I realized that the pop tester could get fowled with alternative diesel fuels; and I see it as my responsibility to make my DIY diesel meet spec, not my injectors accommodate for my fuel. However, for research purposes I can see the value in such a test.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks