• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector Pump failure?

WS2811

We were able to get the fuel shutoff freed up, however it does not return on it's own. I took the cover off of another truck (another reason why you need more than one truck) and compared the tension and it seemed the same. So the shut off is free, just not returning on its own to the run position. Is there, or how can you replace that spring? Is there an authorized field modification to locate a spring in a more accessible location?

BTW. we were able to start the engine with the shut off manually pushed forward.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The cover has nothing to do with it returning.
If it doesn't return on it's own, it isn't freed up yet. You can pull that part out and take it apart to get it all the way freed up, but in order to do that, you'll have to remove a nut from a shaft that is very likely to shear. I have had 50/50 luck with going this route. When it works, it works great, when it doesn't your S.O.L. till you find a replacement. I am out of the replacements right now.

WS2811

I have been working the fuel shutoff for a while now and it is slowly starting to return on it's own. I guess a few more hours and we should be good. I will keep trying this rather take the chance of disassembling it and busting something. Thanks again for the help, I was already starting to calculate the cost of a replacement pump.

hdexpert

You'll get it freed up, keep working at it. After all is said and done, add a can of Seafoam (can get it at Napa) to your fuel tank. It helps to free up things that are stuck or a bit sticky.

WS2811

All is well. After several hours of massaging it, we got it completely freed up. Truck runs great.Again, Thank you for the help and advice, you guys are great.I'll be picking up "Seafoam" on my next trip to NAPA.

Now, if I can only find help for my TD340 dozer....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Walmart has SeaFoam also.

hdexpert

Painful but true!! Kip and Brett are coming up tomorrow to help knock it out. 12th times a charm. Also, my coolant overflow tube was blocked so maybe no head gasket replacement!!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
On my current radiator, the tube was cut at the 90 and they put a rubber hose on that. Might be an option if you can't get it cleared up.

surfdog

WS -

Not too far away from you up in Altamont. Glad to here you got the truck running again. Now I know who to call locally if I need help with my injector pump. Give me a call if you ever need help turning a wrench on the old iron. Not nearly as knowledgeable as many of the guys and gals on this thread but I'm not afraid to get dirty!

I think you already have my number.

JP

rlwm211

I would bet that the overflow tube caused the leak. What I would be concerned with is that it got past the headgasket and outside the block. That is a weak point and at some point down the road, you might have a failure exactly when you really would rather not have one.

I am sure Gimpy has an experienced opinion specifically regarding the Multi and I would defer to his vast experience on that count. After all he is over 10,000 posts and is the most outspoken legend I am acquainted with here in this forum, at least so far.....:D

In my case I have a head gasket job in the offing because I am leaking oil especially when I am working the truck hard. It is not a lot of leakage, mostly just a mess under the hood, but in my book, a leak, or potential leak needs to be fixed. I am waiting until spring to do the job as the truck runs fine otherwise.

I am glad your shut off worked loose. I would look into adding some lubrication to your pump diesel as that may help avoid this problem in the future. Well, that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

RL

Last edited:

hdexpert

got it

On my current radiator, the tube was cut at the 90 and they put a rubber hose on that. Might be an option if you can't get it cleared up.
Got it cleared, used a fish tape and compressed air. Made quite the mess!! I don't like the setup though, think I'm gonna cut the metal line up high, add a rubber one and a catch tank.

WS2811

WS -

Not too far away from you up in Altamont. Glad to here you got the truck running again. Now I know who to call locally if I need help with my injector pump. Give me a call if you ever need help turning a wrench on the old iron. Not nearly as knowledgeable as many of the guys and gals on this thread but I'm not afraid to get dirty!

I think you already have my number.

JP
Good to hear from you Surfdog., I can't take any credit. The guys on this site fixed it. Incredible resource here. I hope all is well,

Walter

stevegr

My deuce is not getting fuel to the injectors. I removed the screw in the top center of the hydraulic head. Fuel does pour out good so I believe the filters are good. I am concerned about the hydraulic head plunger. It only moves about 1/8" to maybe 1/4" total. Is that enough movement?