• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector sound vs. valve sound

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Noticed what I believed to be tic-tic-tic sounds from valves, especially when cold and under load (e.g. accelerating). It sounds a bit like what you hear in an old pickup truck where the valve train is a little noisy and clatters when the engine bogs down.
So, set valve lash today.
Nothing way out of spec, a couple of tight-ish valves. Sound has not changed. I remembered that I had also swapped the single hole for double hole injectors and these were overhauled by a diesel shop and set to max opening pressure. I was thinking that what I am hearing could be the injectors, not the valves.
The truck doesn't miss a beat, fires as soon as you think of pressing the button, smokes little and has no driveability issues. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.....don't want to tear into something without good reason.
What do you think?

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You put your ear to the injectors yet? A good 3500 psi injector will talk to you when it pops. The single hole was if I remember popped at a lower figure of 2850 if it was in tune. Heard reference to a good running multi fuel sewing machine with all the ticks.

Last edited:

V8srfun

If you have a stethoscope or a long screwdriver you should be able to isolate injector noise. Mine also is a little louder when cold but I always assumed it to be a rocker on the loose side. One day when I get new valve cover gaskets I plan to adjust the valve lash but it is low on the priority list at this time.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it have old or newer style head gaskets? I do know that the old style, when failing, will sound like a loose valve. You'll know the gasket failed when oil starts slobbering down the side of the engine.

V8srfun

Does it have old or newer style head gaskets? I do know that the old style, when failing, will sound like a loose valve. You'll know the gasket failed when oil starts slobbering down the side of the engine.
Don’t they all slob oil down the side of the engine. Lol

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Check torque on all your exhaust manifold and turbo fasteners, and inspect the back of the turbo outlet elbow for pinholes. Inspect exhaust manifold for small cracks as well. Hopefully you find something there that is an easy fix.
Something that works well - on a freshly cranked motor - is a spray bottle of Dawn dish detergent cut with water. Spray everything in and around the exhaust system. If it blows bubbles, you found the problem. After the cast iron gets hot the effectiveness of the spray "dries" up and stops working...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks