• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector tip coking

Change out my injectors today.

No wonder the truck was running so bad.

The tips were clean 300 miles ago. could this be caused by the injectors dripping and the fuel baking on?

I'm running close to 100% Used oil and trans fluid.

I installed new injectors and don't want them looking like this in 300 miles

Thanks for any input
John

Inexpensive camper/utiliy box for m35a2

Obadiah 1:2-4 "Behold, I will make you small among the nations; You shall be greatly despised.
The pride of your heart has deceived you, You who dwell in the clefts of the rock, Whose habitation is high; You who say in your heart, 'Who will bring me down to the ground?'
Though you ascend as high as the eagle, And though you set your nest among the stars, From there I will bring you down," says the LORD.

Attachments

I'm sure they can. but its how fast the deposits built up that worry me.

Proverbs 15:3 The eyes of the LORD are in every place, Keeping watch on the evil and the good.

tm america

What issues did you have with how the truck was running ? It is hard to believe they would cake up like that over the holes when fuel is coming out at such a high pressure.?

deathrowdave

Mine looked the same after a few miles after clean up also. I am thinking a few miles on the highway will clean them up again. I have been running used transformer oil as fuel , may be a hotter BTU than diesel . The paint left town on the stack after a few highway miles also !!!!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What issues did you have with how the truck was running ? It is hard to believe they would cake up like that over the holes when fuel is coming out at such a high pressure.?
It's an issue when burning veggie oil, didn't think WMO would be a problem unless the unburnt residue in the oil cakes up..I would imagine that the combustion chamber also shows sign of coking.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard a few concerns about the ATF additives being an issue but know nothing about it, just echoing another thread input.

I thought veggie oil had the opposite effect of cleaning everything or is that only Bio diesel that does that because of the extra acidity?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the truck idleing alot? Or running at light loads? It looks like you are wet stacking. Like generators that are running with too light a load. Try working it harder. If you are running around empty alot dump some gas and or diesel in the fuel tank to thin it some. Oil needs alot of heat to burn complete.

Thanks for the input.

The truck is driven daily. I tend to go through town its a three mile trip. at about 30 mph.

So the wet stacking makes sense to me. I will start taking the freeway. It takes the same time but is a longer trip.

Also when the truck started running bad i filled the extra tank with diesel and use it to cut the wmo. But i waited to long i think.

One last question. If this was a gas engine i would get a spray bottle and mist water into the intake while running to remove the carbon.

Can this be safely done on a multifuel engine?

Thanks for the replies

John 5:28-29 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear His voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of Death.

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the input.

One last question. If this was a gas engine i would get a spray bottle and mist water into the intake while running to remove the carbon.

Can this be safely done on a multifuel engine?

Thanks for the replies
I often thought of that also, but i never heard it being done, so have not tried it. i know because of the high compression of these engines you have to be careful not to spray too much water in as it may build too high pressure in the combustion chamber. instead of doing that, try taking it lon a long trip first. 3 mile trip isnt that far. if you are running a lot of WMO/ATF, i would mix in 10 gallons of kerosene or diesel, treat the tank good with power service in the silver bottle and take the truck on the freeway for a good long trip. also try to let the truck warm fully up to temperature before you hit the road, it might also help if you arnt doing that already. report back and let me know how you make out.... im courious on this one.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought veggie oil had the opposite effect of cleaning everything or is that only Bio diesel that does that because of the extra acidity?
Veggie oil burns cooler than diesel, there is a noticeable difference in the EGT and if the engine is not at operating temp, cooking can occur.

Biodiesel has the cleaning effect you are talking about.

In general, WVO is acidic, fresh VO is neutral and biodiesel is alkaline...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a bit of gasoline in your mix and get it out on the highway for a good flogging. Water in a high compression engine tends to start removing parts of the pistins at edges like the crown and the CC.

Remember, oils have additives like sulpher, ash, moly, etc. That stuff doesn't burn too well. It goes out the tailpipe in the form of solids. One of the reasons 2007 and newer diesel engines are made to work on ULSD is for the solids left behind from the slupher and it plugs the DPF.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know but would an ultrasonic cleaner work?

It would definitely be more benign then a wire wheel, but it would also clean them inside and out. (i.e., is there anything inside that would be a concern. Specifically aluminum or anything softer then aluminum

deathrowdave

I disassembled them and used a good spray carb cleaner. Used a wire from a wire brush to clean the holes , Don't use a wire wheel it will scratch the surface and cause this to happen more often !

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, a grinder based wire wheel will elongate the holes and leave deep scratches. The high pressure at the tip when the pintle is opened will split the end or the end will blow off, not a good thing to use. You can use brake clean, a brass brush and green scotch brite folded over twice on a 2x4. Use the brass brush to knock off the crud, spray the scotch brite with brake clean and with the scotch brite pad doubled over on the 2x, lightly push the tip into the scotch brite and give the injector a couple of twists. Comes out clean and when inspected in a scope, no damaging scratches. To use the ultra sonic cleaner, the nozzle must be disassembled.

Last edited:

stampy

I suggest using a centrifuge to clean your oil. I have no coking problems. I do however add a little diesel to my mix about 10 to 20% summer and 30-40% winter.

When i have cleaned these injectors in the past i just soaked the tips in old fashion carb dip and wiped the ends off with a rag.

I should mention i have always had injector problems with the truck. It started missing shortly after i bought it. it had a lot of water in the fuel. i bought a set of used injectors on ebay. between the ones in the truck and the ones from ebay i got six that worked. Used a porta power pump to test them. The reason i ask if dribbling would cause this is all the injectors dribbled until i really pumped some fluid through them. I suspect they started doing it again shortly after i re installed them. Started running rough and would intermittently drop out cylinders and ET's went up as power went down.

I was just waiting for a set of new ones i could afford. And now that i have them i don't want to wreck then.

So Freeway to work from now on
Will cut with diesel or gas instead of running 100% wmo or trans fluid

Should have given all this info at the start but i hate to type. On a good day i can use two fingers.

Micah 2:1 Woe to those who devise iniquity, And work out evil on their beds! At morning light they practice it, Because it is in the power of their hand.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks