• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

injectors

abarkus

i am looking at the same injectors with new pump. I just put on a banks kit last week, and the governor screw would not come out to adjust the fuel. So i am stuck getting a new pump so why not new injector.

btrapr

rebuilding injectors

I am by far not an expert and I am new here!

I did rebuild a set in my Mercedes 300TD wagon...It was running awesome until this morning when the fuel cut off, I think my IP went out...

THE biggest thing I can say if your engine is running smooth (not rough) you can usually put new nozzles in- do them one at a time so you do not mix any parts! and an ABSOLTUELY CLEAN area is needed, because even a microsopic particle of dirt/grit can destroy a NEW nozzle as they are precision parts...CLEAN everything in diesel fuel blow it dry then hit it with some carb/brake cleaner and blow it again! WEAR surgical gloves and have plenty of clean rags/towels___________NOT sure about these but the Mercedes do not have any seals inside just the one that goes under the injector on the head to seal it....The othe surfaces needed to be hones on a piece of GLASS or TILE with a series of wet sandpaper on top of it...I wet it with clean diesel...small circles with even pressure to keep it riding square on the paper/tile....I think you get the picture...I used 600 first to get the marks out then worked up to 1500grit...I did not hog them and only used a very slight amount of down pressure...while making little circles...
**There was a torque spec when you put the two halves of the injector back together...I used aluminum angle iron in a bench vise to hold them while torqing...

**You definatley need to POP test them if you are adding a turbo..NOT sure about these but a standard Mercedes 300 vs. 300Turbo has different pop pressures...

Last edited:

3dubs

I only found marine injectors for 6.5. The injector nozzles for a 6.5 injector will not fit in a 6.2 injector. But the 6.5 injector will fit in a 6.2. I did not have any 6.5 injectors to rebuild so I got the whole injector not just the nozzle. Replacing the whole injector is relatively simple.

3dubs

I just rebuilt my engine and figured it was out so I might as well replace the injection pump. I have the old one and will get a rebuild kit to rebuild it myself when I have time. Then I can just put in on a shelf for 100k miles from now. I like to have a back up. It never fails that things break when I am broke. So I like to have things on hand that I know will have to be replaced.

3dubs

Hey blzrgb I think you better get some mud tires! They have mud in Missippi you know.

Dude those are some mud tires and a half! I think that winch is for other trucks. You get those tires stuck and you are going to need real help get'n out.

blzrgb

sorry to bring up an old post, but i never heard back from "3dubs" on how much of an improvement the 6.5 marine injectors made for his 6.2.

Where you at 3dubs ??

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
yes they are the same. The thing to do is rebuild them. If you can take them out of the head you are smart enough to rebuild them. the rebuild kits are found on ebay and if you want i can get you the listing. All you have to do is remove the injector from the engine, unscrew it (it come apart) and remove the spring, check ball, and injector tip. install the new parts and screw it back together and put in back in the head. Its that ez trust me! you can get the HP rebuild kits for around 70 bucks for all 8 injectors. you can get around 40 more HP with the High performance tips.
Sorry to add to an old thread but I just ordered nozzles. Did any of you ever come to a conclusion on weather rebuilding is better? After reading about surgical gloves and hand sanitizer....Im not abit leary about doing these. Westech, you said its simple (which looking through the TMs it looks very simple) but is it really that risky?

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Im going to look for some deisel shops in the area, hopefully I can get them tested there. Otherwise, I found a site that describes what the tester is constructed of so I may end up making a tester.

jdemaris

Im going to look for some deisel shops in the area, hopefully I can get them tested there. Otherwise, I found a site that describes what the tester is constructed of so I may end up making a tester.
You can make a tester from a hyrdaulic bottle jack. You and can also buy new, factory mades testers fairly cheap from China, now and then. I bought two new ones as "spares" for my shop for $75 each. Only down-side is the gauges are in Chinese MPa and I had to remark in PSI. My USA OTC tester cost me over $500 thirty years ago, and these Chinese units work just as well.

If you're trying to find a shop to test your injectors - find a farm equipment dealer. Any dealer selling Ford/New Holland, John Deere, IH, Case, etc. should have an injector "pop tester" with all the correct fittings to test 6.2 injectors. Most shops used to do it as a free service. I suspect now they charge.

Attachments

dstang97

whoa Wait a minute. So the hydraulic jack compresses the fuel until you turn the valve to fuel the injector? If so that is a sweet invention.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just my thoughts here... I have been a professional marine diesel engineer for 40 years. We have the parts, the lapping plates, the test stands, etc. to do injectiors on board and I have done many over the years. I still prefer to send them ashore to a professional shop for rebuild. They have the sterile environment and the calibrated test stands to do the job right. Just a few microns of grit will ruin your "new" injector and possibly your engine. What is the cost of a rebuilt injector compared to a total rebuild of the engine, or even a few nights stuck on the road somewhere? I subscribe to doing all that you can reasonably do yourself... then leave some things like fuel pumps and fuel injectors to those best set up to do this work!