• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inlet air heater 3126

Givinup

Had an odd occurrence I thought I would share.

I took my truck to the cat dealership for an initial service, (will do another diesel mechanic now that I have a baseline).

When I picked it up I noticed the inlet air heater light was on, but it was cold so I didn't think anything of it.

Next day it was 75 and it still illuminated. Drove to my shop and voltage the entire drive was way down. Put it on a genius charger and left.

Went to work and got back 10 hours later to troubleshoot. Inlet air heater area on engine was still hot! Checked wires and found that the positive wire to the sensor had been crimped out of place.

Stripped the wire back some, secured to sensor, started up and no warning light.

Not a big occurrence, but it would seem odd that it had the inlet air heater always on, as opposed to always off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 3116 doesn't have inlet air heat (I don't think), so I'm not familiar with it. However, it seems like bizarre "repairs" like this aren't uncommon. Some brilliant Army mechanic had replaced my fan clutch switch (supposed to be NC) with a NO switch, so the fan was always on until it got hot, then it would turn off (theoretically, but because the fan was always running, it pretty much can never get hot enough to trip the switch).

I would just check the wiring diagrams in the TM, and make sure which way it's supposed to be wired up, and set it straight.

Givinup

My 3116 doesn't have inlet air heat (I don't think), so I'm not familiar with it. However, it seems like bizarre "repairs" like this aren't uncommon. Some brilliant Army mechanic had replaced my fan clutch switch (supposed to be NC) with a NO switch, so the fan was always on until it got hot, then it would turn off (theoretically, but because the fan was always running, it pretty much can never get hot enough to trip the switch).

I would just check the wiring diagrams in the TM, and make sure which way it's supposed to be wired up, and set it straight.
It's back to working as it should, although I don't know if the switch is correct. It only kicks on when cold prior to engine start.. As opposed to running for 8 hours straight draining my battery on a warm day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Had an odd occurrence I thought I would share..... Checked wires and found that the positive wire to the sensor had been crimped out of place.
Stripped the wire back some, secured to sensor, started up and no warning light....
By "crimped out of place" do you mean they had attached it to the wrong wire and you had to remove and reattach it to the proper location (the sensor)?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks