• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

inner lug nut removal

Jake0147

It looks like I may have jumped the gun telling you all about the kit. It wasn't suggesting the whole "power wrench" kit, just the two pieces kit, but I can't find it there any more. Both parts are still very much avialable individually as a repair part however, you can get them from anybody who sells Ken Tools. They are a very big name in that business, most places that sell tire repair tools have access to them.

Michael

It looks like I may have jumped the gun telling you all about the kit. It wasn't suggesting the whole "power wrench" kit, just the two pieces kit, but I can't find it there any more. Both parts are still very much avialable individually as a repair part however, you can get them from anybody who sells Ken Tools. They are a very big name in that business, most places that sell tire repair tools have access to them.

I appreciate the link anyway. If I didn't already have a surplus power wrench, I think I would order the complete kit. I need an online place to order from. The closest dealer seems to be about 100 miles away from me.

LanceRobson

An epay search for "Budd socket" should find a 1-1/2" hex, 13/16" square combo socket specially designed for Budd wheels. Mine cost around $22. They're availbale in 1" drive with 3/4" drive occasionally seen.

On the road, I break things loose with a 3/4" drive Swench manual impact wrench (800 lb/ft of torque). In the shop I use an industrial 3/4" impact or, for really stubborn stuff, an SP Air #5 spline, double shaft impact tool. It's specifically designed for Budd style wheel work and will crank out nearly 2,000 lbs/ft of torque. We've never found anything it won't loosen.

Lance

Jake0147

\If I didn't already have a surplus power wrench, I think I would order the complete kit.
I did that route. I needed the wrench. I found the wrench. Like a dumbarse with a massive case of OD feaver and tires that needed attention, I immediately bought the wrench. Then after it came I figured out I needed adapters and I paid WAY more than I had to to get them. Little ouch. Then very shortly later a fella was on Ebay selling surplus wrench after surplus wrench for fourty bucks... Big ouch!

Not that the tool isn't worth that cost, it surely is and one way or another I wouldn't be without one. But still, Ouch!

Juggernaut

Deuce Inner Wheel Stuck

I was trying to remove my inner wheel the other day and when I got the outer wheel off, the inner wheel did not have any inner lug nuts as quoted in the service manual. Instead, it appeared the studs had raised necks to securely hold the inner wheel tight with the outer wheel fitting flush, and both wheels being secured by the outer lugs. However, the inner wheel will not budge. I tried kicking it from under the truck, pry bar, etc.

No luck. Any suggestions?

DanMartin

Er...you're talking about the inner budd cap nut? You know that comes off, right? That's why the end is square. The stud is under the inner cap nut. All you did was take off the outer cap nut.

Go buy a budd nut socket for your impact wrench. It will make sense....

dm22630

I was trying to remove my inner wheel the other day and when I got the outer wheel off, the inner wheel did not have any inner lug nuts as quoted in the service manual. Instead, it appeared the studs had raised necks to securely hold the inner wheel tight with the outer wheel fitting flush, and both wheels being secured by the outer lugs. However, the inner wheel will not budge. I tried kicking it from under the truck, pry bar, etc.

No luck. Any suggestions?

That is a budcap. It is the "inner lug".

What you need is a 13/16 SQUARE Socket.

They cost about $10-$15 @ NAPA.

Amazon.com: Square Budd Wheel Impact Socket - 13/16 In: Industrial & Scientific

dittle

I bought one of those budd sockets from Northern Tool and found that I couldn't reach the inner square socket head with it very well. The stud head would grab about 1/8" of the inside of the socket. After taking all the tires off it had rounded out the inside of the socket (3/4" drive). So I just went and bought one of those square 13/16" sockets to have in addition to my budd socket. Problem solved.

Martian

Cheater bar on Ken Tool 4 way = broken

I'm a bit slow, and it costs me. Found out that a Ken Tool 4 way lug wrench doesn't care for a cheater bar on one of the arms. Supported the end opposite to the lug, then 5' cheater bar. Had to walk up it and jump a little for it to crack the nuts loose (front wheels). Only later, after I noticed the crack right near the center, did I stick a bar through the center hole and lever off that.

Now I have to buy a new one. Think I'll get a two piece this time.

Three year old looks at me balancing on the cheater bar, "Vu are not hebby enough!" Great technique, if you're not concerned with safety. There's a 3/4" impact in my future.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks