• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inner rear axle seal

kcollum

Looking for input on wheel leak. I replaced all the wheel seals in the truck last June about 500 miles on new ones. Repacked all the bearings and replaced some that showed water damage. When I moved the truck last Tuesday I saw a oil on the tire. I pulled it apart tonight gear oil all over the place. The axle vent was replaced with a remote one and is clear. I put the cork seal in the key-way and used the permatex right stuff. The seals looks ok could it be the bearing race is worn and not sealing? Any ideas would be appreciated.

20150817_184933.jpg20150817_184902.jpg20150817_184913.jpg20150817_185248.jpg20150817_185243.jpg

brianp454

kcollum

I would definitely clean up any surface rust and polish the areas the seals touch. I've been through this too and it seems to me the outer seals sometimes don't seal perfectly and there's always a fresh supply of gear oil as once it comes down the axle housing to the end, it gets trapped there until it leaks. It looks like the sheet metal plate inside the drum exists only to catch grease and oil. I question the decision to grease the bearings rather than lube them with the gear oil similar to many other full floating axles. I removed the original vents and installed a 1/4 inch tube that goes up to the cab similar to what you did. I'm re-doing two of my axles now and will see how it goes. I have found that cleaning the slot well and carefully applying RTV works better than the wedges. Good luck!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like the sheet metal plate inside the drum exists only to catch grease and oil.

If you look behind the plate there are four slots that let the grease out onto the outside of the drum. If you do not clean out those slots then it will go to the inside of drum/shoes. This goes for the 5 ton too.

Last edited:

kcollum

Yes the plate is to let the oil run out on the hub side through the small holes on the brake drum unfortunately the RVT did not seal well and let through some oil. I was not sure if anyone has had a seal fail that quick. I am going to replace the race in hopes to have a new seal surface and hope for the best.

kcollum

Ok just a thought the left race is the old one the right is new there is a small grove in the left race from the seal is it possible the oil leaked by because of a worn ware surface?

20150818_181948.jpg

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never like using RTV. I use the blue shop towels crammed into the keyway and never had a problem. I also fill my hubs with grease. I don't think the race is going to make a difference as nothing is going to seep by the inside and the grease seal should make up the difference. Not keeping the outer grease seal good and tight would be my other guess as too oil intrusion. I don't not use a chisel or anything else except the correct socket on the nuts and a good torque wrench to the bearings. Tighten to 100lb back off tighten to 50lb back off maybe 1/4 turn.

Last edited:

HeadForTheHills

Not sure if this is the same issue, trying to prevent starting a new thread::
I have a leak on the inside reareast passenger rim (super singles) it appears to be the drum, but seems that it could also be the axel seal? I only have the leak from that one rim..the only question I have is, do I have brakes? I'm planning to straight to the mechanic, but have no idea if it's safe. I'm guessing the air over drums will allow the brakes to work, but I want to do better than guess before I drive through the mountains

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks