• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

inner seal wiper

groundog

anybody ever re-place the wiper on a rear 5 ton axle---inner seal slips over it---how to remove and:smile: install---it is just a sleve that fits over the axle

Yes I replaced them on my m52a2 so my new seals will have a new surface to ride on the old ones had a grove . They act like a wear ring or a speedy sleeve just so the seal won't grove the axle it's self . to remove them put a chisel on it like you are going to cut it but tap it lightly in a few spots around the ring this will cause it to stretch and slip off they are soft you don't want to hit it hard to damage the axle surface .When putting them on I used a 4 inch PVC coupling with a short peace of 4 inch PVC pipe to extend past the end of the axle they make a tool but I don't have one .

groundog

:smile:thanks for advice---i bought a 931---was leaking oil---pulled it apart and no sleve on the axle---some one had to pull the sleve off and not re-place it---the truck came from GL---ordered 4 new wipers and seals just in case axle # 2 starts to leak

Krink545

I used a piece of 1/4" flat brass about 10" that had i little bend in it about 3" from one end. Just tapped them off. The chisel idea sounds like a good one thou. I ordered mine for Clarks. They had very sharp and rough edge. I worked on each one about 5 minutes with some fine sand paper.

I didn't use the cork on the keyway. I used gray silicone. Installed outer bearing made sure keyway was clean, filled the keyway just out to where the seal would push on it(silicone). Screwed on the inner nut and torqued it to 50Lbs and backed it off till the lock pin would line up. A little more silicone in keyway install lock ring install locknut torque to 300Lbs.

DAS

You could also use a regular torch or hand torch and heat a spot and push it off with a screw driver....dont chesel a mark in the axle.....emery cloth the surface,clean and push new one on...........DAS

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks