• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inner-Vehicle Headset/Microphones

McCluskey

Anyone with a M1009 knows how loud it can be going 70MPG on the freeway, and how bad it can be going for 5+ hours. I've been drowning it out with music when going for a long period of time, but I have a long road trip coming up with a few friends and I want a means to talk to them without having a screaming match for 5 hours.

In California, the only law I can find about the use of headphones while driving is that it cannot cover both ears, one ear is fine (goes along with bluetooth/wireless laws). Does anyone know of a system that would allow several headphone with mics to communite in the same system with each other. I can't seem to find information or components of such system you find on military helicopters.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps the "Chatterbox" would work. Motorcyclists use it to communicate with other riders. On ebay there are headsets available for the system. You might give that a look see.

K9Vic

Gee I sure hope Texas does not have a law about wearing ear protection while driving. I almost always use a race scanner headset and plugged into my small radio so I do not have to hear the loudness of a M1009. I also have a set of Firecomm headset, but they are not hooked to anything as of yet. They are more for show then an intercom system.

But as for you in CA, yeah a chatterbox would work and I would suggest an ear plug in the other ear. Probably get away with it through a loophole as you truly only have one ear covered with the intercom head set ;)

rod

If I get the M1009 out on an extended drive I always wear the soft foam earplugs to prevent ear damage. I usually get the soft flesh colored foam ones from Walley world. This might be an option for your "non headphone ear". It would be easy to pull out if pulled over.

BLK HMMWV

I was originally looking at this companies stuff. www.ruggedradios.com
Then a fellow SS member (Maynard83) from So-Cal in your area told me about this company
www.piratecom.com

Very similar set ups but I'm saving my pennies for the Piratecom set up for my HMMWV.They do allow for a cell phone interface as well as 3 seperate audio input devices and expansion to include complete wireless systems .

BH