• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

INOP Oil Gauge

slantflat

Hey everyone.

1973 AMGeneral M35A2C, White muli-fuel engine. When the power switch is off, the oil gauge reads 0. When I turn the power switch on, the needle jumps to 60. That's before cranking. With the engine running it stays at 60. Actually pegged past 60.

What's a good place to start looking for trouble? I've read about the sender being for a 60lb gauge and having a 120lb gauge and vice versa. I'm not sure that applies here, since the erroneous reading is the same whether the engine is running or not. Is this a common problem amongst Deuces?

This brings up sub-questions. Is it better to have a 60- or 120lb gauge, or does it matter? What would it have had originally? Where is the sending unit located on the engine?

If this is all in a TM could you point me to it? The big TM I have doesn't cover oil gauges. Hm. Thanks everyone.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the TM you have does not cover it, you don't have enough TM's. There is the -209 series (-10 through -34P), then the -361 series for the new format. Probably about 15 manuals in all. However, since the gauge pegs out I would suggest a short which could either be a bad sending unit, or a bad wire somewhere picking up full voltage, since the engine is not actually building pressure yet.

jbayer

Mine did the same thing, found the sending unit connector was not completly on, circuit was open.

I only noticed it running, and thought I had great oil pressure, until I saw the same pressure with it off.

M35A2

steelandcanvas

Is it better to have a 60- or 120lb gauge, or does it matter? What would it have had originally? Where is the sending unit located on the engine?
The 0-60 PSI sending unit/gauge would be a little more precise over the 0-120 set up. Sending unit is on the passenger side, back of the block, above the starter. I agree with the others, sounds like a short somewhere. Be sure and download those TMs to become more familiar with your truck.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks