• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insalation kit MK-1967/VRC????

citizensoldier

I purchase a new kit to put a intercom in my deuce M109. No directions on how to put it in or where anything goes? Do any of you guys have a Tech manual or pictures of this installed? I am a complete radio dumb dumb so please stick to laymen and below terms.. :?
Its a Instalation Kit , Electronic Equipment MK-1967/VRC (KY-57 for combination with auxilliary reciever R442 for general purpase)
Mounting base, elect equip MT-4626/URC
Cable Assy, spec purp, elect CX-13061/U (4ft)
Cable Assy, spec purp, elect CX-13062/U (4ft)
Cable Assy, spec purp, elect CX-13063/U (3ft)
Cable clamp kit, universal
Intercommecting box, 03514/U J3514A/U

Any and all help appreciated.
And what would be the propper amp and radio units for this setup?

acetomatoco

It shoulda had all the installation instruction and a list of components put in by the nice folks at Tobyhanna AD when it was assembled...

citizensoldier

Nope

Thats what I thought ace.. All I have is a packing list. No such animal about where it mounts in the truck or anything? Not even what each nut and bolt are for? So I just have a pile of new parts and no idea how it all goes together?
If anyone out there is reading this I would like to know what all else I need to get or if any of you have it for sale? Thanks :? :? :? :roll: :?:

ONTOS66

RE: Nope

What you have there:

INSTL KIT: MK-1967/VRC F/KY-57/W AUXILARY RECEIVER R442

Is the installation kit for the KY-57 (which you can't own) for use with the Auxilary Receiver R442. The reference for the KY-57 install kits is SB 11-700, which is available at LOGSA, but you can't download it due to distribution restrictions.

To even begin to use this you need the R442 and MT 1898/VRC mount, The reference is TM 11-5820-401-(series), which is available at LOGSA, and again, you can't download most of it due to FOUO (For Official Use Only) restrictions. However, you can purchase a hardcopy of the manual almost anywhere on the web. Go figure.

The kit that you bought adds the ability to receive encrypted messages on the R442 - once you have an R442 and KY-57. So, you really don't need this kit.

The MT 4626 is the mount for the KY-57, the UJ 3514A (commonly called the "J Box") installs in the R442 mount between the upper and lower sections.

All in all you have a pretty useless installation kit. What truck are you trying to install a radio in, and what radio do you want to install? You can't use any of this stuff unless you have an Amateur Radio Operator license, and then only a small part of the band around 50 MHZ.

I LOVE green radios (and yes, I am an Amateur Radio Operator, and worked with tactical radios in the service). Hope this answers your questions. I do have a diagram for installation of the J Box in a radio mount somewhere, but haven't scanned it - cause no one can use the stuff anyway.

Good Luck,

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The kit is useless.. Keep the nuts and bolts, throw the rest away. That way it doesnt clutter up your area for other parts...

There are probably 100+ Installation Kits for VRC series stuff, and 50 or so for SINCGARS stuff. Buying one out of the blue with no research can be a waste of $$$.. With commo stuff, do the research first, then buy.

ONTOS66

Re-reading your original note I see that you want to install an intercom kit in an M109.

Check TM 11-5820-401-20-2 it shows the components and installation of the AN/VIC-1 intercom setup. This is primarily intended for use in tracked vehicles so it isn't addressed in the TM for wheeled vehicles.

These parts are available on the web, etc. check the radio threads here for some members who were adding intercoms to duces, gamma goats, etc.

Get the book, make a shopping list, ask questions of SS folk - then buy and install.

I checked LOGSA, but unfortunately this manual is also "For Official Use Only ... limited to US Government agencies." Since all this stuff is surplus that means that they aren't going to spend a lot of time and money changing the distribution on manuals that are obsolete. A "Catch 22" of the military collection hobby.

Do a google and you can get the manual on line somewhere.

ONTOS66

AH HA! While preparing to upload some new TMs I found that TM 11-5830-340-30 is available in the Technical Manual section - it should answer all of your questions about the intercom components and installation.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that manual in PDF form is nearly a Steel Soldiers exclusive. Doubt you will find it anywhere else.

citizensoldier

Well the kit was cheap and worth it for the headset and the nuts and bolts... Bummer about it being useless! Oh well... Thanks for all the advice and I will read the above mentioned TM's... This radio stuff is confusing!!!
Next step is a couple Motorola biker setups.. Its to hard to have a conversation with the wife on long trips. Plus Dave P needs one in his 800 series tractor so we can talk while recovering old trucks from around the US..

citizensoldier

Well ..... Now that you mention it.. Nawww just kidding.. My wife and I get along real good when I am behind the wheel of old green junk.. Probably the only time she can bitch and it just rolls right off and into the tank because the old multi will burn anything... :driver: I actually like to talk to her once and a while..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks