• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insane MKT Price??

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That trailer was mentioned in another thread as a upcoming auction , it must have brought the bidders with deep pockets out

3dAngus

No one is going to up their bid to $6k based on AN?YT?HING said on here.

They bid it up because they wanted it. Probably for a special purpose, but there had to be two in dire need because he had some serious competition.

There will be plenty more coming back from Iraq. I've seen quite a few at a number of different posts and bases that are not on the auction block yet. Excellent condition too. Don't worry, you'll get your chance.

stancanpara

WOW!!!! How could it be worth THAT much???? Are there a lot of special (can't find anywhere else pieces) on this thing???

It seems insane that two people would think it was worth over $6k....

Or am I just that naive???

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the fact that it was overhauled in '05 had something to do with it.

Not many are going to return from Iraq. They were using the containerized kitchens over there but the MKTs are possibly going to be headed to Afgh because they don't have a flat space to put the containerized ones down.

Chief_919

I hope whoever bougth it didn'tmean to add the extra 0's. WOW that is 3 decent trucks.. that could have been bought.
Remember, just putting extra zeros alone won;t cause a bid to go super high unless somebody else was bidding on it also.... it takes 2 people to drive a bid up (assuming the auction is run honestly).

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has all new vinyl 'canvas', the four inch griddle, looks like all the poles and ladders, some of the new food containers. Even so, I don't think I would have gone over $3400, including the GL fees.

As for the ones in the sandbox, many may come home, as we are 'supposed' to be drawing down in the 'stan also. And the field kitchens they are handing over to the locals are the German Karchers, which have an even smaller 'footprint'. Please remember our forces have three levels of field kitchens - the company level (KCLFF) to feed 125-150, the MKT to feed 250-300, and the CK to feed 500-600 at a time. They will likely retain all three versions because of the common parts used in them. I know the CK has some different heating arrangements, but have not been in one yet.

3dAngus

The bid kept rising incrementally for three days. It was no fluke. There were quite a few bids placed on it all three days.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was me.

I thought it came with food. My bad for bidding when hungry.

WPNS421

One thing everyone should remember MKTs are getting scarce and what is coming from GL is in very poor condition and has a lot of missing equipment. Relate the price of MKTs to the price of M35s, years ago a M35 would have sold for less than $1000 today the trucks are going for $2-3K. As things get scarce price goes up. Not all people that bid on GL have the advantage of this site and they do not know where to buy a MKT so bidding goes wild. Because of the economy more and more people are looking at GL and what you find expensive is cheap to someone else.
Look around and find a heavy duty trailer with a solid aluminum floor, How much would you pay for it? Also one point that is interesting is the price of scrap metal, I recently purchased a bad condition MKT for the contents and certain parts then I took the MKT apart and sold the aluminum as scrap, the prices were lower than today and I walked away with $1100 and I have all the equipment and the frame and axle. What is expensive here is cheap elsewhere.

exbrown

True- I always assume everybody uses that. Be interesting to see the bid histor- anyone here place any bids on it?
I did. There were 50 total bids. The winning bid was a "New" bid, meaning it was not on Autobid. I did not think I was going to win, but was rather shocked at the final price.

barnett1

I just purchased a stripped mkt-85, it did have 1 stairs with handrails and the black mat in it. Not sure what I am going to do with it yet, I paid 475.00 for it. Found this site the other day gaining some good info. Thanks for sharing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks