• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

insane parts counter

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I went to the Kragen, now Orieleys,
parts place to buy some cotter pins for the steering linkage. The guy at the parts counter doesn't have a clue what I am asking for, and can't even look it up. There software only lists major parts and doesn't even pull up a picture. And yes, I gave him the 1984 K30 J code speil.

I am just dumb founded. We had a great auto
parts place here, but the city of Berkeley is forcing all these kind of shops out of the city.
as it is I had to go to to the next town over just to go to the kragens.

Can someone please look this part up and get the generic specs on it so I can get it from McMaster Carrs or some such.

Thanks,
Bruce

10 PAOZZ 96906 MS24665-357 PIN,COTTER

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MS24665-357 1/8" X 1-1/2" Carbon SteelAN380-4-6

I did a google search for MS24665-357 Pin,Cotter. It was the first search result.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Doghead That really helps. I am always paranoid to use google for fear of getting misinformation, but I guess I should be a little more trusting.
Bruce

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about a hardware store. They usually have these, although not mil-spec, but then again a standard GM cotter pin isn't.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Understandable, You can't beleive half of what you read, on the Internet!;-)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My son works at Advance Auto....if it ain't in the computer they don't have it and prob can't get it.

The days of the old fashioned parts houses are numbered...when the old guys that run them retire it will be game over for old school mechanics.

There are only about three independant auto suppliers within a reasonable drive from me.

It's a good thing "Steelsoldiers supply network" is up and running.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
McMaster-Carr
These guys have an assortment that includes the right size for $7.53. Not sure about shipping cost, but I get stuff from them all the time, so I'll just tack a few more things on the order that I need.
Thanks everyone, You have restored my faith!
Bruce

Sgt. Sam

Hitch pins

Well I went in a hrdware/farm store and told the young man that I needed some 11/4 hitch pins and he had no idea what I was talking about. needed them for my 5 Ton M-62 wrecker.Had to go to an iron store and get the materal and weld them together myself.But by god I gotter done. Looks as good as the Army made ones

Well im gonna chime in on this one i have to agree I worked for advance autoparts for 3 years its sad i can look up my own parts faster then the newbies lol nowadays they want a pretty face however im gonna say i know quite a few of women who can hold thier own when it comes to parts :mrgreen:just my 2 cents yall have a great day :D

wikallen

Farm Store, Hardware store, race shop? When I go to the chain parts stores, I wish I could just go to their parts shelves and find what I need myself. When you do not have a specific Make/Model/Year to give them, they do not have a clue on what to do.

rickt44498

getting gm parts or sizes

any GM dealer parts dept, can print up the ILLUSTRATION of any GM car or truck including medium duty and usually it will give you the size, if not the GM part # for the standard part.

if you don't have a competent, GM parts guy, you should find one BEFORE you need him.

throw him a bone ocassionally, and BUY SOMETHING from him....

GM parts, for the most part, last a long time, especially when you consider how these trucks were driven, and how some of us continue to drive them.

$$$ becomes a moot point , if u have to replace a cheap imitaion a couple of times

cheap u-joints anybody...?

my 2 cents...

JC Clark

Any company dealing with military equipment and parts SHOULD have access to part number or NSN search for MIL-SPEC and other data. I know I have had several request for small parts such as nuts, bolts, washers, and cotter pins. If we do not carry the specific part I will pull the MIL-SPECS from our data base and get the sizes and get them from the manufactures that I deal with.

Stihl029

I was home on leave a few months ago and found that Pep Boys carried the kits of the dorman cotter pins. I got them, o-rings, standard and metric bolt kits as well as some other odds and ends that the parts stores here in kodiak are always out of. The kits sure are nice to have and have saved me many trips to the store while in the middle of a project.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finding a knowlegabe auto parts man is definatly becoming a lost cause. And aside from NAPA (thank gawd for them) I've discovered another great source for my old trucks in the big-rig repair shops, like where the big rig drivers go to get their parts and/or work done, etc.,.

Most of these are nation-wide, like we have a local Franklin Truck Parts, TrucParCo, and a Fruhauf dealer nearby, and when you've got an application with tough to locate parts, my experince has been that these are the guys that will really help you. Just google heavy duty truck parts for your local area.

I probably don't have to warn too many guys here but DO lookout for that junk that comes from China, it's not fit for man nor beast much less our MV's...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks