• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inside a Modern Gear Reduction Starter

74M35A2

Thought I would post a pic of the planetary drive workings of a modern lightweight high efficiency heavy duty starter. The armature shaft is splined and sits in the middle. These starters weigh 28lbs, are dynamically computer balanced, and are O ring sealed. Developed to last a minimum of 50,000 starts. Performance guaranteed down to -40F.

Our stock starters are fairly robust. But these weigh half, are 1/3 smaller, pull 50 amps less continuous (200 amps less inrush current), and have very consistent performance in cold and hot situations. Everything is needle or ball bearing.

Attachments

lindsey97

DSCN3235.jpgDSCN3236.jpgDSCN3238.jpgDSCN3237.jpgDSCN3234.jpg

Pictured above are 2 bad starters I have replaced, and a 3rd new gear reduction style I installed. I think the 2 bigger ones I replaced are a mt-40 and a mt-50.

I can personally attest to the ease of installation, and the lightweight attributes of the newer gear reduction units. The smaller diameter of the motor "can" allows you to go straight in with a socket/extension combo, whereas with a bigger heavier unit makes using a wiggle socket or a super short socket the only way to tighten the bolts. After changing truck starters on my dump trucks, and now my military trucks, the gear reduction units are a pleasure to install.

And the weight difference, or lack thereof is unbelievable. You can literally place the gear reduction starter into the truck with one hand, and start a bolt with your other hand. Absolutely wonderful. The gear reduction units are also somewhat shorter in length.

The only thing I had to modify when changing style of starter, is adding a very short length of wire to the "trigger" wire, and changing the type of eyelet on the end of the wire.

grendel

Y'all can thank me... I needed a different nose cone for the starter I got from Discoball to go into my Cat 3406B... so he shipped me three... on Sunday. The one ball wonder really does have the best customer service.

74M35A2

That small relay on the modern starter posted by lindsey97 can take a signal direct from the dash start switch. The eliminates the need for any external relays or solenoids (1/2 the PCB box). It can also be simply not used or removed if you want to leave your system as is, or you can even wire to it with your current system and just use it.

The gear reduction starters really shine on weight, size, durability, efficiency, and especially consistent cranking performance at cold and hot conditions. We wrap masking tape around the solenoid coil when built as a tell-tale burn indicator if the starter is held on for an excessive length of time, you can't see this unless you cut or press the solenoid apart. Just sayin' *wink*........

The stock MV starters are well built, no doubt. Even my own was working perfectly when I pulled and sold it. But, if your stock one ever does go out to lunch, there is no reason to stay with an older direct-drive unit unless free.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks