• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inspection and prepping of trailer before EUC has cleared...

jbmilart

Has anyone here... actually get to inspect and prep their auction won trucks or trailers before your EUC has cleared? I just called the Army base at French Camp, CA. where my trailer is being...(quarantined)... er... held. The lady on the other end of the phone who works for GL and works at the base as well... told me that it wasn't a problem... that I could go and inspect my trailer and even prep the trailer... before my EUC has cleared. "It's your property..." she says... "but you can't take the trailer off the base". Is this a normal practice... or should I wait until my EUC clears? I was just trying to get a head start on the prepping... and when my EUC clears... just sign all the paperwork... hook up my trailer and go home...

Jim

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wait

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they will allow you to do that then take advantage of it.

Most locations will not allow it.

Technically the item is not yours until the EUC paperwork clears. Lets say DLA doesn't clear you. GL refunds your money and resells the item.

jbmilart

All I was going to do was to check on the trailer... see if there was anything missing or if I needed to bring anything extra when I eventually recover the trailer... check the tires and lights etc... I wasn't going to add anything to the trailer at all... maybe take some better pictures... that sort-of thing...

What are the odds of the DLA not clearing my EUC? My record is very clean... I have a current class 1 driver's license w/ hazmat endorsements... which requires FBI, DOT and Homeland Security clearances... does that count for anything?

Just be sure to recheck the trailer when you are able to pick it up. Occasionally things seem to disappear. Happened to me on an M101 trailer. Previewed it, won it ,passed EUC, and when I went to pick it up side racks and bows were long gone.
As far as passing an EUC, I have hazmat endorsement on my CDL and it took 3 weeks to pass my first EUC, my father has nothing of that sort. He just passed his first EUC on a trailer in 6 days!

Last edited:
One GL rep actually let me start a 5 ton tractor I was previewing and drive it over and couple up to a semi trailer i was also previewing. It was a trailer that I would say was "custom" built. I wanted to see if the 5 ton would clear the landing gear legs when turning, also to check the lights. I did win both units. Funny thing was, I was able to pick up the 5 ton (M931) before the trailer due to the EUC on the trailer, but not the 5 ton.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whole trucks have been known to disappear. I have had parts stolen off trucks and tools out of the tool boxes before, however never from Ft Jackson or Eastover. Once it was a part off the engine, that kept it from running. Good thing I drove the M35 and took a towbar...

If you are close and you just want to hop over and check it out, by all means do so. But I wouldn't expend too much energy as others have said, the EUC could get denied for whatever reason, and you are just SOL on any time or money you invested in it (above the purchase price)

I understand you can file a claim with GL, but I was unaware of that at the time. And that was the only time anything's come up missing on something ive won. I figure i've made up for it with alot of goodies that were still in other units i've won.

jbmilart

That's crazy! Why would the Government have requirements for a EUC on a trailer and not on a 5 ton truck? Tell me this isn't a Government program at it's best!
I guess you've just got to play the game... in order to get anywhere... "Stand by to stand by..."

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's crazy! Why would the Government have requirements for a EUC on a trailer and not on a 5 ton truck? Tell me this isn't a Government program at it's best!
I guess you've just got to play the game... in order to get anywhere... "Stand by to stand by..."
I have seen canoes needing an EUC. Not so swift attack boats....lol

It all depends on who is coding the paperwork that day and how it is keyed in.

jbmilart

Just got back from the Sharpe's Army base in French Camp, CA. checking out the trailer I won... (not until the EUC clears) The Security there was pretty tight there... They kept some of the sold items in a secured fenced in area.

The people there at GL... were very pleasant and let me check the trailer out within the fenced in security area. I was very happy to see that all of the lights on the trailer were operating perfectly... tires and wheels were in very good shape... all the bows and rails were there including the attachment pins. The trailer canopy cover was intact with all it's rubber tie-downs... didn't see any rips in the fabric... although didn't really inspect it very closely. The only things that was missing was the master cylinder breathing tube (being solved) and the landing gear hand crank... and my EUC paperwork...

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone here... actually get to inspect and prep their auction won trucks or trailers before your EUC has cleared? I just called the Army base at French Camp, CA. where my trailer is being...(quarantined)... er... held. The lady on the other end of the phone who works for GL and works at the base as well... told me that it wasn't a problem... that I could go and inspect my trailer and even prep the trailer... before my EUC has cleared. "It's your property..." she says... "but you can't take the trailer off the base". Is this a normal practice... or should I wait until my EUC clears? I was just trying to get a head start on the prepping... and when my EUC clears... just sign all the paperwork... hook up my trailer and go home...

Jim
If the item won requires EUC you will not get a "paid in full" invoice until EUC clears. Until you receive the "paid in full invoice", you do not own the item even if your cc has been charged.

Won a trailer the day before I picked one up at same installation. I checked out the newly won trailer the next day while picking up the earlier win. It also required EUC as did the first one. Even though I had just been cleared the week before, the next trailer took longer to clear.
The second trailer was like new and needed nothing. When I went to pick it up, they had pushed it around and tweaked one of the landing gear enough that when I tried cranking the dolly up the bolt in the gearbox driveshaft broke. Also the emergency side gladhand had been broken off. Still, the trailer was a super bargain and I did not want them to allow me to back out of the deal as offered.
Thankfully I was prepared to fix such items when actually picking it up.

oldgoatfarmer1361

I have a question I am still waiting for my invoice. Once I get the invoice for the auction then I file EUC? After that I have X number of days to pick up 1-4 trailers? I goofed and bid on 4 trailers M105A2 no tarps or bows figured out of 4 I would win maybe 2. Nope I won all 4 and EU certificates on each one I am glad I only live 100 miles or so north of East Over. Any thoughts please advise this is my first time having to file EUC paperwork for a trailer. Now onto buying my swift attack boat no messy paperwork with that....

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You have to file the EUC first, after it clears then you get an invoice. From the date of the invoice you have 10 days to schedule pickup.
If you are proactive and work with the GL folks (do not make them mad) you can usually get an extension, especially in your case where you have multiple items. Do not call them at the last minute and expect them to pull your fat out of the fire.
In your situation I would consider finding a "Hotshot" rig (Dually pickup truck with long gooseneck trailer) and get all four at one time. GL will usually load them with a forklift (chances are they have already been loaded/loaded with one) and you will prob save money/time in the long run. Just make sure you have a plan to unload them when they get to your place. Face the tongues to the rear so you can unload them by hooking to them. I have worked with GL people all over the country and generally find them to be helpful as long as you bring a good attitude with you.

oldgoatfarmer1361

Thanks for the loading tip. In your past dealings hauling items from GL who was the best hauler you had used? I am looking to bid again for some other Mil Trucks but I am trying to get a ball park idea on shipping fees. I know it is distance but just a general idea. I am always looking each week to see if anything pops up. Have a good day and thanks..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks