• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installed a Class 3 receiver htich on M1009

Bighorn

Today Emily made a grocery run off the mountain.
She brought back my Curt 13401 class 3 receiver hitch along with the mail.
So after work I bolted it on to my 1986 M1009.
Was slightly different than a civy Blazer install.

1. The square tube bar that connects the two halves of the "military" hitch bracketry had to be removed.
2. The metal loops that hold the safety chains on the military bumper required bending upward to clear the hitch.
3. There is an existing bolt on each side through the frame rails associated with the military pintle hooks that helps/hinders installation and requires a trick.

First I removed the military square tube at the bottom of the bumper.
Then I fished the square washers included with the hitch through the back of the frame and into position over the existing unused hole in the frame.

Next I used duct tape and a calibrated stick to drop the forward hitch bolts into the square washers and through the hole in the frame rail.

Then I removed the existing rear most bolts occupying the holes the hitch uses just forward of the bumper and accesible between the bumper and tailgate.

Now for the "trick".
Due to the bolts holding the military pintle brackets being in the way of simply putting the hitch directly up to the frame;
I left the included rear most hitch bolts out and slid the back of the hitch bracket between the pintle bolts and the frame then pivoted it up on those pintle bolt till I could get the forward hitch nuts threaded on loosely.
Then It was just a matter of lining up the rear most holes and dropping the last two hitch bolts in and snugging everything up.

It sounds complicated so I included pictures.
You'll see what I mean if you ever do one.

The stick trick.View attachment 698471View attachment 698472Bending the military chain loops.View attachment 698473
Below this hole is a bolt that the rear tab of the hitch needs to be slid over pinching the hitch tab between the frame and that bolt.View attachment 698474View attachment 698475
It looks low to the ground but I am backed up to a bump in the ground to facilitate the installView attachment 698476
This is the square tube that is removed to clear the hitch.View attachment 698477

I got to keep my license plate bracket by doing it this way and most of the rear bumpers integrity as well.

Tools used;
3/4" x 1/2 drive socket, 6 inch extension, 1/2"ratchet
3/4" open/box wrench
5/8" x 3/8 drive socket, 3/8" ratchet
5/8" open/box wrench.
Hi Lift jack to bend the military chain loops upwards to clear the hitch.
duct tape and a stick I found in the forest.
wd 40 rust breaker.

I will wire up a 4 way trailer connector tomorrow.
The M1009 already has all the wiring right there so the T3 connector I bought is not really needed.
Just a plain 4 way pigtail will work.

NO DRILLING WAS REQUIRED

No, I will not be towing a 30' house boat with my 6.2.
Just need to shuttle trailers now and then and have a backup for my 76 K5 this winter when we take the garbage trailer off the mountain every two weeks.

I haul the garbage trailer over the snow on a big set of steel skis using a 1972 Thiokol Snowcat.
Get it to the nearest plowed road and take it the rest of the way with my 76 K5.
Dump the garbage in town, fill the trailer with beer and packages for the lodge and reverse the process.

I will try not to use my M1009 for such duty since I know they weren't made for such duty.
But life happens and I would rather have the hitch and not need it than need it and not have the option at all... aaanndd..
Now I have a valid excuse to buy a receiver mount winch setup!
I really didn't need an excuse but now I have one!:ditto:

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dump the garbage in town, fill the trailer with beer and packages for the lodge and reverse the process.
I will try not to use my M1009 for such duty since I know they weren't made for such duty.
I dunno about that. I hauled lots of beer with my 1009. Not using its receiver, though.

Bighorn

Well, there is a 10% grade for 8 miles between the lodge and town.
I know it can do it.
Just would much rather use my rusty 76 Chevy K5 with the small block 400 since it doesn't even notice the trailer going up hill.
I plan to sell the 1976 in the spring and keep the M1009 as my sole vehicle.
Beginning to rethink whether I even want the 12 bolt rear axle or Dana 44 from the 76 in the M1009.
Thinking for my uses a semi float 6 lug corp 14 bolt from a suburban or truck would be a better choice and just keep the 10 bolt front.
The beauty of working at a snowbound lodge all winter is having time to dream and plan.
Might leave things as they are.
My 1976 with the sbc 400cu in motor and the 12 bolt/dana 44 3.73 geared locked combo would be easier to sell despite the rust body than it I swap the 10 bolt 3.08 axles from the M1009 into it.
My Daddy once said; "leave well enough alone."
Or was it Popeye?
Advice i rarely heed.
hmm.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, there is a 10% grade for 8 miles between the lodge and town.
I know it can do it.
Funny, I had 8 miles of 8% grade. Also not following your father's advice, eventually my 1009 had a Banks turbo, 700R4, and 4.10 3/4-ton axles. Those mods made the beer runs (and any run up the hill) far more pleasurable.
Never did use the receiver much outside the property. Being used to towing with crew cabs (164.5" wheel base) the short K-5 never felt all that confidence inspiring.

Speaking of hills, how does your 3B like them? At least with the A1 you have the Warn OD to help out.

Bighorn

That ole 3B was an ex-airline conveyor belt jeep.
Had a cracked head and plugged radiator.
Melted a piston on San Jose Soquel rd one night.
Found another f-head in Chico and it also turned out to have a cracked head but didnt leak so I ran it that way.
If you stayed on the throttle it could maintain 40 mph all the way up from Soquel to the Summit.
Had great fun idling out to the highway and shutting off the motor to coast all the way down the mountain to Casalegnos store.
Scared the heck out of more than one cyclist doing that.

Ilikemtb999

The semi float rear and regearing the front 10 bolt is the quickest way to something worth a **** axle wise. I have seen aftermarket hubs for the full float 14b with 6 lug option.

Bighorn

The reason I mentioned the semi float 14 is it's lighter unsprung mass than the full floater.
Also its very stout 9.5" ring gear.
Better ground clearance than full floater.
The lunchbox lockers for the semi float 14 are as big as the detroit in a 10 bolt.
The c-clip doesn't scare me.
Seen broken axles in 10's 12's and 44's but never in a 14 nor a broken c-clip in a semi 14.

DaGeneral

This is a great bit of information and thank you Bighorn for doing it. However, I cannot access the links to your photos. What happened to them?

DaGeneral

This is a great bit of information and thank you Bighorn for doing it! I want to put a receiver hitch on my M1009, but I can't access the photos that you posted here. Do you know what happened to them?

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, FLU, I tried towing a Jeep once. The way my vehicle is set up, it became clear real quick that I should not be towing anything. Couldn't go over 30 MPH without the tail wagging the dog. So may as well ditch the hitch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks