• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

installed an electric fuel pump today

aboonski

Seems to start a lot quicker now after sitting for several days. I had to install it where I could get to it for maintenance because I have problems with positional vertigo now. This also makes changing the fuel filter a breeze too. I turn the pump off once the IP is primed and ready. This is a 12 volt unit that I have had in my garage forever and is made by Bendix. I have a toggle switch under the dash that turns it on and off when needed.

Attachments

aboonski

Yes it is - normally "off". When I first get into the truck I flip the switch and wait for the pump's clicking to slow or almost stop before turning the starter. Practically everything for starting this truck is "manual" including the glow plug circuit that I use a momentary switch to energize. Prior to adding the electric pump into the system it took several minutes of cranking to get the motor to start and run. I used a bunch of small angle steel to fabricate the mount.

southdave

I always thought , a pump was supposed to be mounted lower than fuel, because of the whole cooling, and pushing thing?

m1009 start on the rotation of motor because of elect. lift pump&filter swap. the dang thang only running with six cylinders

aboonski

I only know that this works for me. Once the I.P. is primed I shut the electric pump off and the fuel just flows through it from the mechanical pump. Not sure how long this pump will last because if is a vintage pump but was never used. If I have to I will swap over to a 24 volt pump (I have several of them) if this one craps out on me.

aboonski

I just use the stock fuel filter setup that came with the truck. Eventually I may convert mine to burn WVO and then things will need to change at that point in time. Looks like a lot of us will need to convert to alternate fuels the way diesel is heading this summer! Love to see your filter system sometime....