• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installed block heater and refilled with NAPA ELC

my76fj40

nh250-Installed block heater and refilled with NAPA ELC

Brought my 5Ton back from IN and had a pinhole leak in a freeze plug, got a few replacement plugs in case another one goes. While I had the coolant drained I installed a 1500w block heater. When I refilled I went to NAPA and got their ELC coolant compatible with everything per the jug. Looked yellow, ingredient list: ethylene glycol, sodium 2-ethyl hexanoate, sodium neodecanoate. PN# 1EXT. According to local NAPA guy no other additives are needed for HD diesel applications. I am a little apprehensive on taking their word for it, and googling for awhile didn't have any glaring solution. I found references to organic acids and not using SCA or DCA...

So in short can someone confirm I can drive it like I stole it without concern or do I have to drain and flush to run something else since I didn't research enough prior to buying the ELC? A point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, and if it is on SS I missed it and will get back on my short-bus...

For reference here is a pic of the truck. Feel very lucky for a truck in this kind of shape, and to her credit she got me home without incident. (The truck not the wife...Other than a few gallons of antifreeze and water)IMG_20150314_145944127.jpg

Last edited:

Plugugly

I would get some test strips and see what they say. I don't know that you are going to have any compatibility issues, and I don't know how you would ever know for sure what your truck had in it to know for sure. The best you can do is know what you put in it. A filter would be a good thing to add from all accounts, they are pretty simple especially since you know you won't have any drain issues. I'd probably run the truck while I order strips and the stuff to put a filter kit on, then see what the strips say and how the coolant looks when you capture it for the filter install.

Here's a link to my filter install on my 923: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...a-block-heater-and-coolant-filter-on-6CTA-8-3

my76fj40

Thank you Frank for the post reference, I had not seen that one.

When I drained the radiator there was literally one second of drainage that I was thinking "WTH" then it was clean. With the freeze plug out and the plate for the block heater off the portions inside the block you could see were pretty clean. The only rust I found was in the surge tank. I may see about boiling it out or replacing it. A filter would surely help keep it that way.

Thank you for the other info for the cavitation itself, the cavitation is the main reason I am concerned with the composition of the NAPA coolant, and the potential pitfalls of the chemical compatibility of different additives and incorrect concentrations. Once I get some more time I will cross reference the composition list of OAT, HOAT etc. I had found a post mention chemicals associated with each type but I didn't bookmark it.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
May or may not make a difference but what engine? Since they are both Cummins what does the vendor for the engine say to use?

It's nice to get advice from everyone I try to point people the guys who actually built the engine.

my76fj40

250, edited original thank you. I am close to the boonies and the local Napa is the only game in town. Before this is all said and done with it will likely be drained, flushed and refilled again. I did save a lot of $$ on not needing to drain and refill the diffs, the oil looked brand new with no discoloration whatsoever...