• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installed new PURest air dryer from Haldex.

tbar123

Overall it's an easy swap out. I did have a few things I felt members should know when they go to swap one out. 1) The small fitting on the old dryer has to be installed on the new dryer.2) The long bolts with the kit are to long and additional washers are needed to fully seat the bolts.3)Make sure you find or buy a center punch before drilling the holes,I had one hole "walk" on me so I had to woddle the hole out to get it right.That was my screw up!! But overall the 2 problems with the kit are an easy fix( wish they were are this easy). My old unit once removed, the filter on the top was extremely loose. So I think that's were the problem was. I looked at the cartridge on the inside and it looked pretty good to me. But I'm glad I did the swap.

Attachments

acme66

I think we already spoke once about this but could you remind me what issues were you having with the old one, what benefits do you see with the new?

Ken

tbar123

My problem with the old one arose just a few days ago, So I don't believe we spoke about it before, But maybe we did. The problem was the air pressure built to over 150 psi with the old dryer. Knowing that this is the shut off unit for air pressure. I felt it was necessary to rebuild the old unit. But since a new unit is almost the cost of a rebuild kit, I thought it was best to go with a new unit.The best benefit is the air pressure shuts off at 125 psi as it should be.If the pressure builds to high then you have blow outs! That's not a good thing!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your problem sounds like the pressure protection valve is/was frozen. Many others have had the same issue(and posted).

tbar123

Since the temperature was around 45 the day the dryer started acting up, and that I pumped the brakes down 4 times ,I think ice wasn't the problem.But It might have been since it was cold that morning, but then again my truck sat in the sun the entire day so maybe it wasn't. Also I have 17 years as a truck driver and have a little experience with frozen lines or equipment and generally know when something is frozen compared to broken.

Edit;Drove school bus for 2 years then truck for the past 15

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks