• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installed Turbo, 12v conversion Serp belt lots more

acesneights1

BTW I know I will catch a lashing here for converting to 12v but it really is better off. The hybrid system to me seems more like a novelty of keeping it original or if you have other Mil vehichles to jump off off but the advantages of conversion for me outweigh it.
Pros:
I now have both batteries as a buffer for the winch or Plow pump
I now have a serp belt instead of the troublesome V belts
The CS130 Alt is easy to find anywhere.
The 12v starter is easy to find.
The truck now has a cooling system that has been upgraded by 300%
Cons:
Slower cranking in cold.
Lost novelty of keeping it orignal

acesneights1

BTW DiD I mention IT MOVES !!! ****. Drives like a 6.5 now not a slug. No more getting passed on the highway by Old ladys in K cars flippin me the bird...:)

acesneights1

BTW I want to clarify in case I didn't earlier, The modifications to the exhaust such as downpipe and crossover may not work for every truck. Mine has a 4 inch lift which made it easier.

acesneights1

OK my elbow and hands are shot for tonight. I copied alot of this from another site so I will try to expand on the stuff that relates specifically to CUCV tomorrow night..

jdknech

when i did my turbo build, i had a local exhaust shop build my downpipe-exhaust.. total out the door=$100 just something to think about... i used a 6.5 set up my 6.2 block/heads. and it runs awesome! did you use the 6.2, or 6.5 injection pump?:popcorn:

cshaw07

I'm about ready to toss my turbo setup on, but i may lift it first to make the whole thing easier. Could you snap some pics of how you ran your exhaust under the truck? I'd appreciate it [thumbzup]

acesneights1

Yes will take more pics. I used the 6.5 inj pump. It has slightly larger plungers plus it was rebuilt.
No exhaust shop around here does anything for 100$ . The last crossover I had made cost me 230$.

acesneights1

Well, this is why I should have just dropped a Cummins in it.
The lower end gave out.
I might cut it up for parts. I am not happy right now.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWLkw5KdVI&feature=channel&list=UL[/media]
These motors are junk and should be babied. This is what happens when you try to hot rod them. The crank will probably be next.
What a waste of time and money. I should have left it alone.:cry:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No offense to you Sir but after reading all this, I think I'm going to resist doing a turbo on mine, learning from your misfortune. That's a whole lot of work right there.

acesneights1

No offense to you Sir but after reading all this, I think I'm going to resist doing a turbo on mine, learning from your misfortune. That's a whole lot of work right there.
Well....i thunk this motor had issues before and this made it more evident.
#8 cyl had staining and the crosshatch was gone when I pulled the head so now add
10psi boost....
I am going to look at a 94 6.5td engine tonight. I aill buy it if it looks good and
Swap it this weekend. Then I'll pull the 6.2 apart and mic the cyl. Something I should have done when it was apart. This is why rushing a job is never a good idea.